Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sedo's "listing over 10K needs an appraisal" rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustermattie

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just read this on Sedo when trying to decide if I want to list my domains there:

"Keep in mind that no listings can exceed 10,000 USD/EUR/GBP. This policy is in place to help keep the marketplace fair and balanced for both buyers and sellers. If you believe your listing is worth more than 10,000 USD/EUR/GBP, please first order an Appraisal. Upon receipt of your appraisal, our Customer Support staff can manually change the price on your behalf."

I see a lot of listings for not so great domains well above 10K. Am I missing something or does Sedo appraise very high?

bustermattie

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that many people are paying 29.00 a pop to see if their domain is worth over 10K so they can list it there.

Any recommedations on the best alternative place to list?

chillking

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi yes i know what it is for example if you bid 100k on a name and the name is low quality and the owner Knocks the bid back he can list his name for 100k stupid rule but true sedo told me .

bustermattie

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi yes i know what it is for example if you bid 100k on a name and the name is low quality and the owner Knocks the bid back he can list his name for 100k stupid rule but true sedo told me .

So you just need someone to bid a large amount on your domain then you turn it down and you can list it for that amount?

There's always a loophole waiting to be exploited ;)

chillking

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
According to sedo yes . But for any one to bid over 10k they need to be verified .

Why do you want to list your name for over 10k to make it look good ? you can write on the description what price you want .

bustermattie

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I want to list it for over 10K because it's worth over 10K :)

That's a great idea to put it in the description (and another loophole!)

Thanks!

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
paying money for making sedo richer without having some money back wont work
sedo will get money fro the parking and any sale i may have, why should they get even more money to appraise my domian if i feel it worths more than $10.000?

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
why should they get even more money to appraise my domian if i feel it worths more than $10.000?

Your values MAY be reasonable. Unfortunately, many domainers seem to think they have the next $2M name evey time that they catch a drop. TDNAM is an excellent example. Here are some 'value priced' domains from their current front page:

Name Traffic Bids Price Asked

ws-7.com 6 0 $50,000
skinstoreusa.com - 0 $10,000
thebiglebowski.mobi - 0 $25,000
lossmitigationflorida.org - 0 $35,000
were.biz - 3 $25,000

If you think any of those names are worth those prices, I suspect that you own them!

To warn in reverse, Sedo appraisals are very conservative. I have one '$3,000' (their appraisal) name that I've passed on mid teens offers 4 times!

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My thoughts on price may be higher than what the market believes but i own the domain and i have full rights to price it as i want, if i ever reduce the price its gonna happen because the market dont like it but when did Sedo became the voice of the global domain market?

No harm is made if a domain is overpriced, it will simply remain parked and eventually drop, why Sedo wants to interfere and manage the domain uppon their wills.

Domain market is getting more and more controlled by companies like sedo.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My thoughts on price may be higher than what the market believes but i own the domain and i have full rights to price it as i want, if i ever reduce the price its gonna happen because the market dont like it but when did Sedo became the voice of the global domain market?

No harm is made if a domain is overpriced, it will simply remain parked and eventually drop, why Sedo wants to interfere and manage the domain uppon their wills.

Domain market is getting more and more controlled by companies like sedo.

Well there is harm done with silly overpricing... It makes Sedo, the aftermarket, and our profession look like a joke. If you want to over price or list all your names over $10,000 then go to Ebay. I think Sedo's rule is beneficial to keep over zealous newbies in check.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well there is harm done with silly overpricing... It makes Sedo, the aftermarket, and our profession look like a joke. If you want to over price or list all your names over $10,000 then go to Ebay. I think Sedo's rule is beneficial to keep over zealous newbies in check.

Correct! Do you really like looking over a long list of crappy names with huge prices??! I'm usually outta there pretty fast myself. Sedo doesn't want these names and would prefer that if you want to price them at $10K that put them on ebay or TDNAM or anywhere else but their site! Very few names are worth $10K or more in reality.

Last edited:

bustermattie

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good talk, all good points. Thanks.

Bottom line is, if Sedo doesn't think it's worth at least 10K, you're out 29.00 and a listing at the price you feel it's worth.

So, where would you go if you had a domain that you researched enough to know it should be listed for over 10K and but you don't want to be subject to the auction site's appraisal?

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good talk, all good points. Thanks.

Bottom line is, if Sedo doesn't think it's worth at least 10K, you're out 29.00 and a listing at the price you feel it's worth.

So, where would you go if you had a domain that you researched enough to know it should be listed for over 10K and but you don't want to be subject to the auction site's appraisal?

If your domain is worth more then $10k then just list it as Make Offer with Sedo. If someone offers $95 you can counter $17,000 or whatever. If your domain is worth $10k+ surely $29 is a toss in the bucket. But to answer your question:

Afternic
Ebay
TDNAM

Have no price ceiling when listing domains for sale.

Good luck!

bustermattie

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If your domain is worth $10k+ surely $29 is a toss in the bucket. But to answer your question:

Afternic
Ebay
TDNAM

Sure, it's a toss in the bucket, unless they tell you based on whatever criteria that it's worth less than 10K. Then it's a waste of money and I hate wasting money. :)

Maybe they should just charge a fee for listing over 10K. I'd be ok with that.

Ebay, really? Interesting. Edited to add, the only domains that have bids are the .99 ones :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom