Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sedo's Premium Auctions - domain quality a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So I decided to submit some names to Sedo for the premium auction including names that Great Domains had wanted me to list at one time. I decided not to list them there because GreatDomains.com wasn't selling diddly.

So anyways Sedo rejected them based on "quality" yet GreatDomains wanted to list them a while back? (Names like WholesaleGift.com, PetFuneral.com, Paganist.com)

Hmmmmmmmm.......... What's up with that confusion? I do like the live auction system though.

Last edited:

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not one of the best acquisitions IMO, seeing as SEDO just link it all back to the SEDO auctions. They would of been better off running them both as Separate Entities, perhaps even using the GreatDomains brand to launch live premium auctions at Domain Events.

GreatDomains should of been the SEDOPro of Sales, and I have seen very little great domains listed recently.

Such a shame, I liked the old GreatDomains better.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the domain holder.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think people at SEDO are idiots, otherwise they will not be the aftermarket leader.

I think they simply TRY to list names they estimate having the most chance to be sold from the domains suggested:

To take their decision probably they ask:
- Does the domain already received a fair amount of purchase requests?
- Has the domain similar specs of recently sold names?
- Is the reserve price reasonable?
Thanks to these questions they estimate the domain sale chance.

But I may understand your frustration Larry.
Now there are a bunch of live auctions coming (including our that will be soon largely advertised...), so don't worry.
By the way, it's not too late to submit your names to the DomainFest auction organized by SnapNames.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Based on my own experience, I would have to agree to a lot of what Francois says. Don't immediately apply for a topdomains/GreatDomains auction right after you have added it to your Sedo account. The first thing the Sedo brokers will probably do is to check traffic, bids and popularity based on Sedo's parking stats. Also, if you ask to list Waffles.info on GreatDomains.com with a $10,000 reserve it will most definitely get rejected. If it is not super-generic or has high traffic, then your best bet is to apply with a minimal reserve, or no reserve at all.

What you can also do is to complaint and ask why your domain was rejected. Put together a sales pitch and throw some facts on the table on why you think the domain is truly "premium" and why it deserves a listing on GreatDomains.

Well, that's my 2 cents.. Good luck .. ;)

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From what I am told by my account rep at Sedo - The problem is "we are literally inundated with requests and applications". I do have one name that was accepted though (at the moment).

Prior Sedo bids and domain traffic are not the sole way to determine domain quality. Example - I have plenty of large offers on WeightlossProgram.com (didn't submit that one for premium auction & it isn't parked) but haven't received a huge number of Sedo offers. I have names that get less than 5 type-ins a day that I receive 5 figure offers on - existing traffic is "way overrated". In fact - my highest traffic names in the past actually weren't all that tremendous quality-wise (does that make sense?).

In reality, I probably get a total of 1-2 domain offers weekly via Sedo (I'm happy with that) and about 3-4 weekly e-mail offers/inquiries. I'm guessing that ratio may be true with others. When I stick up websites on my names ...... I also get less offers as people think the names are no longer available (dat sucks but producing income on sites is necessary).

I had a couple of domains listed at GreatDomains.com and pulled them. As I stated - I decided "not to list" a group of other names at GreatDomains a fair time ago because GD wasn't selling anything and I didn't want the names tied up. At the moment - Sedo is the only place I have names listed for sale. I do have a large # of sales under my belt (over 1000) so I understand actual domain values pretty good. Most of the names I sold were sold well under market value IMO which is generally the case with most domain sales.

Now visit https://sedo.com/search/searchresult.php4?auctionevent=greatdomains&language=us and look thru the premium auction names - is anticiclones.com more of a premium name compared to wholesalegift.com, giver.org, petfuneral.com, 3-D.net, etc.. ? Yes - I do see premium names in the list along with a bunch of crap names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom