Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sedo's Traffic Stats Might be Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

domain_investor

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
An interesting thing has occured with one of my names at Sedo. My domain name ImmortalityMachine.com was getting about 40-50 visitors a day, according to their parking statistics. BUT, it was getting only about 1 click a month. I had written them about this and asked if they count robot/spider hits. They said no. I tried various keywords and nothing helped.

So, I thought I had better do something with the hits. Yesterday I created a web site for it to sell Amazon books, and I added the Sedo Tracker and entered it for sale in Sedo as a web site rather than a domain name.

To my shock, I've since recieved virtually no visitors, with the exception of my own hits. I should have had 20-30 by now at least. I know it starts counting right away becuase my other Sedo trackers do and this current site has been logging my visits.

What does this mean? Why would I get hits when it was parked and then immediately no hits after I changed it to a web site? It has to be something is wrong with the parking statistics. I knew it was strange that only 1 in 1500 or so last month actually clicked a parked ad.

They have to be unintentionally counting hits by robots in their parking statistics, don't you think? What else could account for this difference?

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Note: most of the clicks you see on the counter are from me.

S

SedoCoUk

Our traffic logs should be correct. If you pm me the name I can see where most of the traffic was coming from and pass that info on to you.

Jay

domain_investor

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
Our traffic logs should be correct. If you pm me the name I can see where most of the traffic was coming from and pass that info on to you.

Jay

pm sent.

hookah

Semi-Netizen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I compared a traffic for some of my names between Sedo and my hosting awstats. The difference has been only within the acceptable error margin so in fact both stats seem to be the same.
Anyway, I am not testing regularly.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your domain ImmortalityMachine.com has some link traffic. Some might be a call to an image that sedo counts as visitor.

domain_investor

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dvdrip said:
Your domain ImmortalityMachine.com has some link traffic. Some might be a call to an image that sedo counts as visitor.

I guess that makes sense. But the bigger issue is that if Sedo (or anyone else) is counting image hits like that, the domain stats are pretty meaningless. Let's say that I had told a buyer that this domain gets 1500 hits a month, and then he'd buy it and later realize that there are far fewer, if any, visitors.

Well, I had placed statcounter's counter on the site yesterday thinking that maybe it might pick up the hits that the parked domain showed, yet the Sedo tracking software did not. One hit. Just like the Sedo tracker. So, it's not Sedo's tracking software.

Sedo parking was counting enormous numbers of hits that Sedo tracking and StatCounter tracking is not recognizing. This really throws in doubt any traffic numbers on domain names listed in Sedo for sale. I'll never know if they are real hits I can count on to beuild a website or parking around, of if they are mysterious hits like these.

Try-Searching.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
slobizman said:
Sedo parking was counting enormous numbers of hits that Sedo tracking and StatCounter tracking is not recognizing. This really throws in doubt any traffic numbers on domain names listed in Sedo for sale. I'll never know if they are real hits I can count on to beuild a website or parking around, of if they are mysterious hits like these.

As many know, I will be the LAST person to defend sedo, but they are not the only parking program that counts images and other file request as hits, but sedo is very guilty of this. Any domains you parked with them that were sites in the past and might have links or might be listed in the way back machine will show up with false hits (images request) when someone loads those pages.

I guess the best point to make, if your names are showing nice hit counts and terrible click conversion, then there is an issue and it is probably not really getting hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom