Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sell a .Com to the corresponding .Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebies

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a dot com domain I recently picked up where the corresponding .Net, .Org, .Info and .Ws are all taken by different parties. Only one of the domains, the dot Net, is currently used for an actual web site, but it is a web site of fairly decent size.

I am somewhat considering developing the domain, however I have an inclination the .Net guys would buy it for a fair amount of money. (Enough money to the point that I would take the money and forget about developing the domain all together.)

Am I asking for legal trouble if I send them a letter saying "I own this name and will sell it to you for $x, otherwise I plan to develop the name."

Thanks for any input. Don't want a legal battle.

Andrew

PS. Sorry if this should have been in the domain reselling category, I figured this category was more applicable.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that you would be bette off developing the site. If they want the name, they will contact you. You stand to run afowl of cybersquatting if you leave the name undeveloped, especially if the other party has filed for TM registration. By offering it to them for sale, you increase cybersquatting risk. If you develop, then they can always offer to buy you out.

Perhaps one of the lawyers on the thread can add their opinions.

Rebies

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow: I'm not quite sure. It could be a possibility that I would be infringing on a trademark.

hiOsilver: Thats what I was sort of assuming. I can develop the site out and if they want it then they can offer to buy it out. The only thing is if I develop the site (and I'm talking develop - not just put 4 or 5 pages together) then the price to them will probably go well above what they would ever be willing to offer.

Thats why I want to offer it undeveloped and if they meet my price requirements I would be more then happy to sell it to them. Otherwise I will deveop it and am assuming it will from now on be above their probable price limit.

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you are infringing on a trademark, the only way that you stand any chance of keeping the domain in a UDRP action is by developing it into a working web site that has absolutely nothing to do with the trademarked product.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Develop a 2 page site that serves a specific purpose.

This may take 10 mins - 2hours+

Than offer to sell it.

would this not work? laywer?

I htink waiting for them to contact you is too tedious but I am very unpatient.

I want money, and I want money now. :D :D

Too bad it doesnt always happen that way, but so far so good ;)

tassos

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem also..
i have the domain magiccoin.com
it seems theres no TM but the owners of all other tld's are fox family ,walt disney, abc worlwide..
i wish they had asked for the name..but nothing till now..
i m thinking of senting them an email...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom