Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sellers - What is your expectation for "Offers Wanted"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

askynot

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I joined DNForum just a few months ago, and I've purchased quite a few domains already, but I'm looking for some advice from experienced buyers and anyone who posts domain for sale in the category "Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Offers Wanted"

Most of the time, this is the most popular category in terms of the number of people viewing posts, so I have to think it's popular for a reason.

I see a lot of domains that interest me in this category, but I seldom make an offer. It seems that domain evaluations are so objective. While some ask for offers to be made via PM, many don't. I often find myself ready to make what I would consider a reasonable offer, and then I change my mind fearing it will be too low or too high.

Can anyone offer some advice here?
Is this category mainly for people who are just fishing for some free evaluations?
Are there websites that offer credible evaluations, that don't also cost more than what the domain is worth to begin with?
Should I just stick to fixed price categories?

I appreciate your help and input.

Upvote 0

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am afraid there is no formula for such thing.
It's like riding a bicycle.
It can not be explained.
But, once you know, you understand without explanation.
It's one of those thing that only comes with instinct and or experience.
One way to learn is keep checking domains that are sold before.
See how much certain domains been sold.
Keep at it and it will come to you.

askynot

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Copper. When you mention "checking domains that are sold", where do you do that? I have watched some on Moniker auctions, but is there a way to sort by "domain names sold" here on this forum?

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have been more of a seller then a buyer for years and yes, make offer is like hitting 1% chance of sale near to your expected price then fixed price.

If you are sure of the price of a domain, sell at those prices (or start at 40% - below, if auction)

Making offer on a domain again is a tricky situation. You end oup thinking a lot of the domain name, extn, history and also the seller (spl. if dnf or responsilbe forum) !!!!

Then we try to use estimation of the domain thru free tools and forget, it is just a tool made by 1 or more set of brainys with some algorithms and formula that can never defeat the actual end user purpose to buy !

Final verdict is - go with your instincts backed up by few facts and your budget

askynot

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Eco...appreciate the advice from a seller's perspective, especially how it really comes down to what the end user might have in mind. A few times I have PM'd sellers to see if they have a BIN in mind, but in most cases the reply was that they don't. The last time I PM'd a bid of $100 on what I thought was a very average name, the seller came back with $2500. Made me feel like I was low-balling then. I still wonder why that category is so popular, given these circumstances.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Eco...appreciate the advice from a seller's perspective, especially how it really comes down to what the end user might have in mind. A few times I have PM'd sellers to see if they have a BIN in mind, but in most cases the reply was that they don't. The last time I PM'd a bid of $100 on what I thought was a very average name, the seller came back with $2500. Made me feel like I was low-balling then. I still wonder why that category is so popular, given these circumstances.

Totally Agree :) Most of the time, even seller keeps guessing and evalautes on basis of the offer received.

Buyers & Sellers can make a deal when these 3 elements meet to both the parties:
Perceptions, Assumptions and Speculations! - Satisfaction

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you mention "checking domains that are sold", where do you do that?

See DnSalePrice.com for domains that have sold and factors to consider. Many factors shade the value and there is skill in recognizing comparable domain sales. However as Copper notes, in time you'll likely begin to see value intuitively.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

stock_post

JewelryRelated.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some of the domains they ask for offers are just trying to see what their domain is worth.
They are not really interested in selling.
Some - just want to see if some one would offer much more that what it is worth so, they can sell it.
Some people post min offer which make sense.
some don't post a min and then call the names saying low ball.
For me if you don't post a min and you call the offers low ball, the that guy is a crook.

askynot

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bidno. Thank you for the tip on dnsaleprice.com...I had never heard of that site and it seems to have some useful data. For keyword domains listed in the "offers wanted" category, I could see where using that site might help me make a more realistic offer. Lots to learn!

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most seller list domains in the offers wanted section because they expect buyers to make an offer. Sometimes it is easier to list a domain in Offers wanted than Fixed price, fixed prices are not very effective and most of the time buyers will make an offer in Fixed price section anyway.

Many buyers do not make an offer for some reason if they want to purchase a domain. If you are a buyer you should not worry when making an offer.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I joined DNForum just a few months ago, and I've purchased quite a few domains already, but I'm looking for some advice from experienced buyers and anyone who posts domain for sale in the category "Domains for Sale (Domain Sales) - Offers Wanted"

Most of the time, this is the most popular category in terms of the number of people viewing posts, so I have to think it's popular for a reason.

I see a lot of domains that interest me in this category, but I seldom make an offer. It seems that domain evaluations are so objective. While some ask for offers to be made via PM, many don't. I often find myself ready to make what I would consider a reasonable offer, and then I change my mind fearing it will be too low or too high.

Can anyone offer some advice here?
Is this category mainly for people who are just fishing for some free evaluations?
Are there websites that offer credible evaluations, that don't also cost more than what the domain is worth to begin with?
Should I just stick to fixed price categories?

I appreciate your help and input.

i post in offers wanted section and at best, you will only get lower than reasonable offers.

but that is from a sellers viewpoint, you the buyer may see it differently because you don't account for acquisition costs for the seller.

if you submit an offer and it's rejected, then you can go higher or wait.

if the name is important, wait a few years and maybe the price will come down or they will drop it.

while you're waiting, with cash in hand...maybe a better name will pop up.

or not!

offers wanted section allows you to keep a price off the name, except thru pm

fixed price gives the buyer a better view to negotiate from.

at times, some who have previously posted in offers wanted, will after a while post the same names in "fixed price", so be aware if you're tracking something

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom