Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

selling a private domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalhead

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is there anything special involved in selling a domain that has a private registration?

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Buyer may ask you to prove it's yours, but other than that, shouldn't be. At least as far as I know.

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there anything special involved in selling a domain that has a private registration?

When selling a domain that has private information. I suggest you have it lifted so that they can do what they need to do to verify ownership.

Just be as open as possible & good luck!

metalhead

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Could I just put a message on the home page like "this domain is for sale" and then my email address? Would that count as proof?

I've never sold a domain before but I have two good ones I'd like to sell. They're both private, however. I've checked a bunch of sites and I can't find one that explains step by step what happens after you agree on a price with a buyer. How do you transfer the domain to their name? I'm registered through godaddy if that matters.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Which venue are you selling the domain on? If it's a direct sale, you need to instill confidence in the buyer that you are in fact who you claim to be. With privacy WHOIS this is not possible. Consider using a broker, such as Sedo that controls the domain and the funds at the same time. I would not engage in a transaction with a seller who hides his info.

metalhead

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Which venue are you selling the domain on? If it's a direct sale, you need to instill confidence in the buyer that you are in fact who you claim to be. With privacy WHOIS this is not possible. Consider using a broker, such as Sedo that controls the domain and the funds at the same time. I would not engage in a transaction with a seller who hides his info.

I haven't put the domain up for sale yet. I'm still learning how all this works.

Would a simple message on the index page saying "this domain for sale by [email address] and listed on [insert auction site]" be sufficient to prove ownership?

If I do get a buyer, how do I transfer the domain to him?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I do get a buyer, how do I transfer the domain to him?

Hi

get the money first

then transfer to buyer

getting the money is most important

make sure if it's an unknown buyer that you get the funds thru an escrow provider
or have them wire it

once you have the cash, then you can push the domain to their account (if the buyer has an account at the same registrar or is willing to get one there) and/or have the buyer initiate a transfer to the registrar of choice.

metalhead

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so i see that some sites take a minimum of $50 for selling your domain name.

does that mean the lowest price you could sell at and still be profitable is $51?

why do i see so many domain names for sale for like $15 then?

fillaman

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey mate, remember you can always chose to auction your domain name (if it is below $50) on either ebay or one of the ebay affiliate auction sites like www.webauctionsdaily.com/forums Of course ebay itself will charge you a few dollars if your auction is purchased, but affiliate sites like the sales forum of www.webauctionsdaily.com is free posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom