Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Selling a WordPress Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not into programming, so I have a technical question regarding the sale or purchase of a WP blog.

From the WP files and a quick glance at the underlying database, I understand that all confidential information -- such as the server name, DB username and DB password -- are stored in the wp-config.php file only, is that correct?

So, if I sell a blog and in the process also transfer the database tables to the buyer, I would not reveal any server or database passwords to the buyer if I remove those information from the config file before the transfer, would I?

This is an important aspect, because as a blog seller you don't want the buyer to be able to read those login information and then hack into your server.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, if I sell a blog and in the process also transfer the database tables to the buyer, I would not reveal any server or database passwords to the buyer if I remove those information from the config file before the transfer, would I?

Correct. Remove the database info from the file, make sure everything is up and running at the new host then delete the actual database / user from mysql.

Usually I make a back up of everything before I delete it in case something goes wrong.

Then, if you still feel unsure: change your hosting password.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply, Tia!

... make sure everything is up and running at the new host then delete the actual database / user from mysql.
Just for clarification: There are no DB info stored in the DB itself, but only in the config file? I'm asking because I have a few blogs that share the same database, and for those I would only delete the DB tables belonging to the sold blog instead of deleting the entire database.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Backup the part of the database that holds the data from your blog (hopefully you used different headers) and then include that with the sale.

Most hosts allow you to import (or restore) a database. Then, "xxxxx" out the database name, username, location, and password in the config.php file.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just for clarification: There are no DB info stored in the DB itself, but only in the config file?

Correct-o

Also, because multiple blogs are using the same database, what dragger suggested is best for that. :)

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Backup the part of the database that holds the data from your blog (hopefully you used different headers) and then include that with the sale.

Most hosts allow you to import (or restore) a database. Then, "xxxxx" out the database name, username, location, and password in the config.php file.
Thank you, that's how I hoped I would be able to do it. :eek:k:

Thanks again to both of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom