Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Selling at Moniker Auctions (T.R.A.F.F.I.C. etc...) - good/bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggs101

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am tempted to use the Moniker platform for the first time to liquidate one of my better 2-word .com's:

NothingPersonal.com

Are there any advantages/disadvantages that Moniker auctions in general have over, for instance, Sedo?

I believe one disadvantage is exclusive rights to the sale of the domain name prior and after the auction if not sold?

Appreciate any clarification.

Thanks.
Fed.

Domain Days 2024

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
+ (sometimes) higher price (if live)

- the long term contract without even being sure that you are accepted for live

jrzeygirl

Best Customer Support
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am tempted to use the Moniker platform for the first time to liquidate one of my better 2-word .com's:

NothingPersonal.com

Are there any advantages/disadvantages that Moniker auctions in general have over, for instance, Sedo?

I believe one disadvantage is exclusive rights to the sale of the domain name prior and after the auction if not sold?

Appreciate any clarification.

Thanks.
Fed.

Luc

I can't wait to sell your domains for you! ;)

Biggs101

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nor can I :)

We will start with the above domain and go from there.... it's Nothing Personal.... it's just busines ;)

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pros:

+ Very good chance to get a higher price than in any of the other auctions and marketplaces

+ Highly professional brokers and customer service, usually very quick transactions once the buyer has made payment

Cons:

- Your name is placed "on hold" until the auction starts and several days/weeks after the auction ends. This is of course bad because you can't sell the domain or offer it to anyone else in the meantime.

But, if you have the patience to submit a name to T.R.A.F.F.I.C. and then "forget about it" until the auction starts, chances are high that you will sell it for a higher price than on most other markets.

Edit: My 4000th post, all nonsense posts! :) :eek:

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think for exposure...the Moniker Traffic auction blows away sedo...the exposure is the main advantage....along with the great customer service and attention you get from your account manager.

I think the main disadvantages are:

1. The contract you have to sign putting you in limbo for an eternity...and not knowing if your name is in the live auction.

2. Relates to #1 (and may actually be an advantage for many sellers)....is that many great names are overlooked for the live auction...and get put in the silent auction where it will simply be scooped up at your reserve price ...so set your reserve where you are comfortable because if it is a good name...it will sell at the silent auction with much less competition IMO....I have 2 examples from the last auction in May....both names were rejected for the live auction and put in the silent...I got my reserve on both in the silent auction, but nothing more....Both names made DNJournals top sales list....both names sold at less than I had been offered in the past...I set the reserves where I thought they would encourage bidding in the Live Auction....but they did not get that exposure. The reality is I have no idea how well they would have done in the live auction - no way to know...but I will learn to set my reserve better and expect that great names may not make the live auction even with reasonable reserves.

Overall....I would say I had a very good experience and would suggest if you have a great name to submit it

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
exactly

there should be a separate contract for live only
and if not accepted, no obligation for the domain owner

no live, no contract
that would be fair

i like moniker live auctions

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no live, no contract
that would be fair

There you go....that may get me to submit a lot more great names. Honestly, with my reserves and the quality of the names I submitted last time, I never even imagined that they would not have been accepted for the live auction as they were category defining one word domain names...but they were not. I would say to just be careful and set your reserve appropriately...as no matter the name and reserve....it may not make the live auction and then you are stuck in their contract for months if you do not want it in the silent auction.

ck89102

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Be aware that payment from the Moniker auctions often takes 8 weeks+.
I'm still waiting on payments for names sold at:
Orlando East (May 24), Domainer Meeting Paris (June 20) & GEO (July 12).

Based on my experience, this is more the rule rather than the exception (despite promises, promises) so if you sell, be prepared to wait (and wait).

But hey, a sale is a sale.

John Mauriello

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not all sales take 8 plus weeks to close. If the domains are at Moniker as the registrar, the turnaround is generally much faster. At our Snapnames Daily auctions the names must to be at Moniker to be considered and therefore the sale is completed and seller paid in 7 days.

Last edited:

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
when is the next traffic auction?
i know there will be a few other sellers there too, like rick latona etc getting a pitch and bido, which i think is a good idea to freshen things up, a bit of healthy competition is something Moniker needs imo

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
As much as I vouch for TRAFFIC being an extraordinary event, I don't like the way Moniker handles auction contracts (120 days, automatic renewal unless terminated in writing, obligatory move to Moniker's registrar prior to auction etc.). We need contracts PER EVENT so that the ever-flowing domain market is not locked down for that long. Therefore, I've not renewed mine.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't mind that stuff as much as the big push all the time for unrealistically low reserves and fact even if you agree to the low reserve it is still likely you will not get in the live auction anyway. The main reasoin I would ok such low reserve is to get in live and certainly not just to go in silent auction, or even no auction at all and just be listed when someone does a whois.

As much as I vouch for TRAFFIC being an extraordinary event, I don't like the way Moniker handles auction contracts (120 days, automatic renewal unless terminated in writing, obligatory move to Moniker's registrar prior to auction etc.). We need contracts PER EVENT so that the ever-flowing domain market is not locked down for that long. Therefore, I've not renewed mine.

onlinetv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

This with the pressure to put very low prices in the hopes of getting live, and as several point out, being put in the silent meat eater frenzy with too low a start really does not make a bright day.

Oppressive contracts have evolved that were not there some years back when you were not only notified when you were picked but THEN did your auction authorization. None of this exclusive offering from the moment your submit a domain until whenever the earth burns garbage (does not even matter if it does NOT make silent - it is Monty's forever. On top of that each domain goes through them, that is why it takes so long. They take the domain first and you never know if your lowball price was just them taking it as it enters the privacy world of Monty or if someone actually bid on it. Nice way to get good domains at cheap prices.

I would not hit my worse enemy with that stick of a contract.

And you should make a real reserve or expect the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom