Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Selling on Sedo - Buy Now or Make Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello Domainers.

Is it better to list domains for sale on Sedo as Buy Now or Make Offer?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have heard both sides of the story!! hard to say

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read the weekly sales report from Sedo and roughly 45% of the sales were BIN. I would just leave it as Make Offer and set a minimum so people don't bother you with lowball offers.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
By using the Sedo marketplace as a seller, I’m always after maximizing my sales revenue.

The recent announcement by Sedo that fixed price listings will enjoy the old 10% fee is not an incentive for me to switch over from “make an offer” listings for my domain portfolio.

Perhaps if Sedo lowered their fee to 5% I might budge; then again, I am only kidding and I’ll explain why.

More on my personal position regarding BIN and offers.

Last edited:

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I read the weekly sales report from Sedo and roughly 45% of the sales were BIN. I would just leave it as Make Offer and set a minimum so people don't bother you with lowball offers.

I had been thinking that after all the posts that i've read and the videos on the DNblog. How would you rate the accuracy of Sedos free price suggestion tool?

Thanks AtTheLake and silentg for the feedback.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Good advice Acro, the more domains you get under your belt, the harder it will be to keep on top of them.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been told pretty consistently told Sedo Free Price tool is worth nothing! I have several dozen domains that according to sedo are worth 1-2k or some 5-10k .. I last month did a test and listed some of those higher dollar domains for roughly like a 1/3 of what Sedo suggested at a Buy it Now! price and still recieved no action, no interest what so ever. Many of my own domains such a ChangeReligions,com (for example) Sedo values at Free Price Suggestion Tool of $100 or less... It might only be worth $100 or less but in my mind it likely worth alot more to the right buyer. And Vice-Versa I have some that sedo values at $X,XXX and I doubt I would get that, only under the pretense of all the stars aligning and being one of the luckiest days of my life. Or a buyer that really wants it...

Good Luck!

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I will chime in on the side of "fixed price". It is purely anecdotal, but I have had much better success with fixed pricing, not only increases in total sales, but higher average per sale as well (almost double - maybe I'm just a terrible negotiator). A lot does depend on the types of names you are dealing in too. I buy mostly hand reg, dropped, or inexpensive auction names that are geared toward individual or small/home business and fall in the mid to high XXX price range retail. I feel I have a good idea on price point and what I am comfortable selling at to avoid seller's remorse.

I have some names where I feel the end users would likely be large companies - those I leave as negotiable.

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been told pretty consistently told Sedo Free Price tool is worth nothing! I have several dozen domains that according to sedo are worth 1-2k or some 5-10k .. I last month did a test and listed some of those higher dollar domains for roughly like a 1/3 of what Sedo suggested at a Buy it Now! price and still recieved no action, no interest what so ever. Many of my own domains such a ChangeReligions,com (for example) Sedo values at Free Price Suggestion Tool of $100 or less... It might only be worth $100 or less but in my mind it likely worth alot more to the right buyer. And Vice-Versa I have some that sedo values at $X,XXX and I doubt I would get that, only under the pretense of all the stars aligning and being one of the luckiest days of my life. Or a buyer that really wants it...

Good Luck!

I suppose it's better for me to know now about the accuracy of the price suggestion tool. I thought it might have been pretty accurate considering the amount of time it takes to come back with a suggested price, around 10 mins.

Thanks for the feedback!

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with INFORG, if you have some names that you think could potentially go for a high price (say upper x,xxx or xx,xxx) then set those with a Min offer and negotiate. Percentagewise, BIN listings are said to do better, but you might leave money on the table.

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with INFORG, if you have some names that you think could potentially go for a high price (say upper x,xxx or xx,xxx) then set those with a Min offer and negotiate. Percentagewise, BIN listings are said to do better, but you might leave money on the table.

I will chime in on the side of "fixed price". It is purely anecdotal, but I have had much better success with fixed pricing, not only increases in total sales, but higher average per sale as well (almost double - maybe I'm just a terrible negotiator). A lot does depend on the types of names you are dealing in too. I buy mostly hand reg, dropped, or inexpensive auction names that are geared toward individual or small/home business and fall in the mid to high XXX price range retail. I feel I have a good idea on price point and what I am comfortable selling at to avoid seller's remorse.

I have some names where I feel the end users would likely be large companies - those I leave as negotiable.

Both are valid points, but surely one must be experienced enough to set a fixed price and be confident to sell at that fixed price. Being a newbie, would you think it better to accept offers, then negotiate or even try BIN with domains that I don't think are my better ones?

Thanks for both of your feedback.

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
How many times have you drove by a house and seen a " Make Offer" sign on the lawn :)

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How many times have you drove by a house and seen a " Make Offer" sign on the lawn :)

True! But the folks that put the For Sale sign up know how to price that property.

$xxx,xxx for a cardboard box or $xxx for a nice fluffy lined waterproof box. :?:

onlinetv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice take on the subject Arco.

I found the variance in Sedo's suggested prices bound on the absurd. My experience shows that domains I had with xxx,xxx bids were suggested at 100 bucks. I had another with an xxx,xxx bid that had almost the same as a suggested.

I think I may be a bad judge of quality but have no idea how they come to their figures.

I now look to list my domain at auction sites that charge nothing. There is no exclusivity with Sedo listings or anyone elses that I know of. The more exposure the better.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Speaking from a Buyers view. - I do not make offers though sedo... I hate the fact they can use my offer to start an auction and I have no say... so I just avoid that.

I would buy BIN or make an offer another way, but never through Sedo...not until I get a say if my bid starts an auction. I'm not waiting a week while the seller uses my bid to see if he/she can do better then decide they want my money... lmao

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice take on the subject Arco.

I found the variance in Sedo's suggested prices bound on the absurd. My experience shows that domains I had with xxx,xxx bids were suggested at 100 bucks. I had another with an xxx,xxx bid that had almost the same as a suggested.

I think I may be a bad judge of quality but have no idea how they come to their figures.

I now look to list my domain at auction sites that charge nothing. There is no exclusivity with Sedo listings or anyone elses that I know of. The more exposure the better.

I have not sold any at Sedo yet, but I've listed a few. The cheapest domain so far that I've bought is the one that Sedos price suggestion tool values the highest. I've decided to list half a dozen at BIN and the rest at Make Offer for now. I'm starting too spread them around, but not much luck in finding many sites to list at as some of them require you to transfer domains to them first.

Thanks for your feedback onlinetv!

Speaking from a Buyers view. - I do not make offers though sedo... I hate the fact they can use my offer to start an auction and I have no say... so I just avoid that.

I would buy BIN or make an offer another way, but never through Sedo...not until I get a say if my bid starts an auction. I'm not waiting a week while the seller uses my bid to see if he/she can do better then decide they want my money... lmao

That's a good point from a buyers point of view. Does the seller not have to ackwoledge your offer and say yah or nah before putting it into an auction?

Thanks for your feedback stewie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom