Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcomgiant

Technologist
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok got it. Thanks :) I always prefer to have my own dedicated box. As though supports are there from the DC, but i can manage myself . So its suits me. Freedom does matter.

:)

slavahosting

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I lease because of less expenses, for example a local server in my home, would eat up a bunch of electricuty, would require high speed conection, a backup generator, would have to be kept in cooled environment.

Whereas a datacenter already has that, plus since they have a lot of servers, they can afford security, antifire equipment, 24x7 system administrators and techs.

All out I'm for leasing vs. in house

joeny

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree

Renting a dedicated box is the way to go as mentioned above

Joe

nts

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I lease because of the points listed above, plus most (including my) internet service provider do not allow HTTP servers on their network.

dotDan

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lease. That way all hardware is covered.

I wouldn't like the idea of colo'ing to a DC 600 miles away, since I couldn't replace parts myself.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for important things such as websites i lease due to the above mentioned, if any hardware breaks its upto them to fix it. saying that i have just brought a 1u server to colocate but wont be hosting anything important on it so doesnt matter if it breaks as i can take my time sorting it (just a personal games server) and it will be only 3 hours drive away, i chose to colocate as it is cheaper to colo than to rent a dedicated in the UK for the sys specs i wanted. There are also companies that do 'rent to own' you pay x amount for x time and after x time you own the box and then pay a reduced amount to keep it connected at the DC

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Running servers from your own home, office or home office is only good when:

a) it's a hobby, or

b) your office is quake-proof and with facilities comparable to those big time data centers.

Some larger corporations also have in-house servers because of security (I mean sensitive information). Can't think of other reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom