Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Setting up a wireless network.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a wireless NIC card in one PC and a wireless router on the other... Do i need an access point or can I do without? I want to setup a wireless network and I was able to install both successfully and packets are being sent and received by the software is telling me the "internet" can't be found

Domain Days 2024

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
On your router you need to set up WEP incryption and choose an SSID. On the wireless NIC card enter the same SSID (or it may be located automatically) if you are broadcasting. Also go into WEP, choose what encryption method (128bit likely) and either enter the hex code or paraphrase.

dsturbed

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
I have a wireless NIC card in one PC and a wireless router on the other... Do i need an access point or can I do without?

A couple questions: What NIC card manufacturer ? Linksys is crap and Netgear is top of the line for your general consumer and small business.

What do you mean by "...wireless router on the other" the wireless router (netgear right ?) shouldn't be connected to the pc but rather your incoming broadband modem/router whether it be cable / dsl or other..

Are there any other devices in play ?

Is DHCP enabled on BOTH the wireless and broadband modem ? (Get into the config) If so, cut the one on the wireless router OFF.

Jeff said:
I want to setup a wireless network and I was able to install both successfully and packets are being sent and received by the software is telling me the "internet" can't be found

Do you have an ip address ?

Did you give the broadband modem time to get an ip address from your provider BEFORE you powered up the wireless router.

Disconnect and put the wireless modem to the side for a moment, and make sure you can connect as normal with your broadband modem alone... then hook up the wireless modem when you get an ip address (milage may vary)

Hard reset the wireless router... (depending on the manufacturer) and the wizard should walk you thru everything

On your router you need to set up WEP incryption and choose an SSID. On the wireless NIC card enter the same SSID (or it may be located automatically) if you are broadcasting. Also go into WEP, choose what encryption method (128bit likely) and either enter the hex code or paraphrase.

Although very good advice. Id leave this 'till last until you get the basic down pat first.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom