Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Wanted: Service Setting up Home Server help (questions)-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a home server option for all my computers.

I have many license purchased products (software).

Most have a one license option. That sucks.

Does anyone know if I can take software like Microsoft Office Pro and Adobe CS3 and load this up to the server so all my computers can use these?

The reason I mention these two products is because I already own them. Otherwise, I have no intention of buying for each computer or buying upgrades.

If these reside on the server drives, then the individual computers will not be burdened with these memory hogs.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nope, it's a big violation of the ToS but companies usually will sell multiple licenses at a discount or look for cheap versions at computer shows (if you have them in your neck of the woods).

Also - look at what you're requesting, this would be a huge drain on your home network. it would be best to use the server as a file server and have the applications running on the PCs themselves. It would be a memory hog on the server and the PC if you ran the applications on the server.

Adapt Web

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just enable Remote Desktop Connection on the main server, and RDP to the main server from your other Windows machines

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just enable Remote Desktop Connection on the main server, and RDP to the main server from your other Windows machines

Good idea but multiple people won't be able to use the same application - or even the server- at the same time and it would just be as beneficial as having the one PC.

Although - if the OP wants to be able to access the programs from wherever he is (bedroom, kitchen, outside, bathroom, etc.. ) and others won't be doing this then it is not a bad option.

Adapt Web

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good idea but multiple people won't be able to use the same application - or even the server- at the same time and it would just be as beneficial as having the one PC.

Although - if the OP wants to be able to access the programs from wherever he is (bedroom, kitchen, outside, bathroom, etc.. ) and others won't be doing this then it is not a bad option.

Agreed.. i would slap an external RAID 1 enclosure on the main server and place all application data on it as well.. including your projects that you may be working on or valuable data..

you could take this approach to another level by using LogMeIn.com. Install the agent on your main server, then you could access this server anywhere via their web site.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The user(s) would be myself and my wife - mostly me.

I just do not want to load programs of the same thing on every device.

I used LogMeIn once. I am just reluctant to have access to all files floating out there somewhere. It is one more "middleman" that I am to put faith in that all my user names and password is safe. Eliminating that option eliminates another potential security hole.

I am considering and looking at some that do provide a remote login to the server.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then you may want to go along with Adept's suggestion - use remote desktop and make sure you and your wife understand not to interrupt each others sessions.

remote Desktop will do remote work with you- you just need an IP address for most networks.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dude, don't waste your time. Other posters have pointed out that the only way it could be done is through remote access, whether RDP, Terminal server (the best solution btw), logmein, gotomypc, etc. However, there's no way you want to do anything with heavy graphics remotely. The way remote control programs work best is by reducing the quality of the graphics to speed up the video stream. So trying to run photoshop for example would be a total waste.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dude, don't waste your time. Other posters have pointed out that the only way it could be done is through remote access, whether RDP, Terminal server (the best solution btw), logmein, gotomypc, etc. However, there's no way you want to do anything with heavy graphics remotely. The way remote control programs work best is by reducing the quality of the graphics to speed up the video stream. So trying to run photoshop for example would be a total waste.
Thanks for all the input.

I've put off doing the home server thing for the moment.

I will try some of the sites suggested for remote access.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a licence agreement for a piece of software once, when I was extremely bored, and the licence stated that it can be installed on 2 computers within the same building, I also remember a similar one where it could be installed on a home PC and a portable computer such as a laptop. Worth a read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom