Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Several Newbie Questions

Dann-o

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I guess first thing's first. I decided to start "flipping domains" part time a couple of years ago, and had a little bit of financial success selling 4 names in the past two years (out of 40-some hand regs). I decided that I should take it a bit more seriously now, and really learn what I'm doing so I can turn it into a steadier income. After reading a lot, I've learned that I got completely lucky on my first 4 sales (two were trademarked, one hyphenated, one brandable). I'm not telling you this because I'm proud of it, I'm actually ashamed that I thought trademarked DN's were a good idea, but I know better now. Anyway, that's where my "career" is right now. I have some questions for what to buy now, so if anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

1. If a Geo+industry.com gets no exact monthly searches from google but there are say, 15-20 end users in that particular industry, does the domain have value? If not, how many searches are minimally needed to make it valuable? (I know it depends on the industry, but...)

2. Are long-tail EMD's worth anything? All the posts I've found on here regarding that subject are a couple of years old, and I know google has changed their algo several times since then.

3. I've found out about the Rosener Equation, but at first glance, the numbers seem a bit over valued in my opinion for the domains. Names with 30+ characters that I've found have $100k values using this equation. Seems crazy. Any updated methodology on valuing EMD's?

If anyone can answer these, thanks!

Domain summit 2024

Dann-o

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your insights and opinions;) ninjadomain!
I appreciate it, just want to have a better idea if I'm on the right track or not....

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I guess first thing's first. I decided to start "flipping domains" part time a couple of years ago, and had a little bit of financial success selling 4 names in the past two years (out of 40-some hand regs). I decided that I should take it a bit more seriously now, and really learn what I'm doing so I can turn it into a steadier income. After reading a lot, I've learned that I got completely lucky on my first 4 sales (two were trademarked, one hyphenated, one brandable). I'm not telling you this because I'm proud of it, I'm actually ashamed that I thought trademarked DN's were a good idea, but I know better now. Anyway, that's where my "career" is right now. I have some questions for what to buy now, so if anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

1. If a Geo+industry.com gets no exact monthly searches from google but there are say, 15-20 end users in that particular industry, does the domain have value? If not, how many searches are minimally needed to make it valuable? (I know it depends on the industry, but...)

2. Are long-tail EMD's worth anything? All the posts I've found on here regarding that subject are a couple of years old, and I know google has changed their algo several times since then.

3. I've found out about the Rosener Equation, but at first glance, the numbers seem a bit over valued in my opinion for the domains. Names with 30+ characters that I've found have $100k values using this equation. Seems crazy. Any updated methodology on valuing EMD's?

If anyone can answer these, thanks!

1. ideas have value, when they can be translated to viable business models.
therefore, when a domains usage for that proposal, regardless to goog search volume, fits the application...then it can become valuable.

2. some long tails have same type-in value as short tails, except they are longer, which means they tend to have "less" traffic than their shorter counterparts.
however, each of their respective values are irrespective of, or not dependent on goog.

3. one persons equation is just as good as the next, as neither means shit unless the domain sells for predicted amount.
trying to apply a generalized logic for assessing values to a random selection of domain names, will generally yield inaccurate results.

only experience, gained thru trial and error, will one gradually learn what "not" to buy, "when" and for "how much" to ask for.

imo...

Good Luck!

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've been listening to a lot of bullshit. Forget any valuation other than what someone pays for a name. There isn't a magic formula for a good name, you need to use your own initiative. If you have to ask questions like the above, you might be better off investing in something else.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In your position, I'd start by looking at past sales of keywords published on DNJournal.com to see what sold when and for how much. Remember history is not a good predictor of the future.

Dann-o

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've been listening to a lot of bullshit. Forget any valuation other than what someone pays for a name. There isn't a magic formula for a good name, you need to use your own initiative. If you have to ask questions like the above, you might be better off investing in something else.
Obviously I knew something was amiss with the advice, which is why I was seeking out more qualified advice on here. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'll probably just take your advice and invest in something else, though ;)

Dann-o

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In your position, I'd start by looking at past sales of keywords published on DNJournal.com to see what sold when and for how much. Remember history is not a good predictor of the future.
Ok, I'll start there to get a feel of what's going on. Thanks!

Dann-o

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. ideas have value, when they can be translated to viable business models.
therefore, when a domains usage for that proposal, regardless to goog search volume, fits the application...then it can become valuable.

2. some long tails have same type-in value as short tails, except they are longer, which means they tend to have "less" traffic than their shorter counterparts.
however, each of their respective values are irrespective of, or not dependent on goog.

3. one persons equation is just as good as the next, as neither means shit unless the domain sells for predicted amount.
trying to apply a generalized logic for assessing values to a random selection of domain names, will generally yield inaccurate results.

only experience, gained thru trial and error, will one gradually learn what "not" to buy, "when" and for "how much" to ask for.

imo...

Good Luck!
Thank you, I appreciate it!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators