Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sex.Com Trial Goes to High Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of future 'SEX.COMs' out there, free for the taking (or at least low cost).

We just need to be creative. We need to look to new technology and new markets.

Adult is dead, or at least, in decline. Everyone discovered adult's easy money, and so we are all faced with massive competition.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMO, the most significant relevance of this case is to see if the Court takes the very first step towards making domains genuine cyber properties just like parcels of land in real-estate. I sure hope that this does happen!

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DryHeat
IMO, the most significant relevance of this case is to see if the Court takes the very first step towards making domains genuine cyber properties just like parcels of land in real-estate. I sure hope that this does happen!

No doubt ... IMO ... THAT is where we're headed.US! :)
Good Luck.
PS. Maybe we'll see you tom'w night at the auction.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Not sure if I am ready to pay "property taxes" on domain names :laugh:

Seriously though, once they become "property" the states would have the right to start levying taxes on them. And why not?? This may be a way for states to recoup lost revenue from sales taxes not being collected from online sales.

izopod

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks, Hal, for letting me know about this board. Just thought I'd flag the errors in this article.

First off, Kremen's damages against NSI have never been established. His $65M uncollectible judgment against Cohen was $45M compensatory, $20M punitives. This judgment was premised on the theory of restitution and disgorgement of unlawfully obtained wealth, also known as Unjust Enrichment. Since NSI never got any money from Cohen's fraud, a restitutionary award would never apply to them.

Kremen's claim against NSI was for "conversion" of Sex.Com from his possession to Cohen's. To determine the true amount of the judgment Kremen will recover against NSI (and I do believe he ultimately will), we must determine the damges recoverable due to NSI's "conversion" of the property. As the Cal Supremes said in Zaslow v. Koenert, "The ... plaintiff in a conversion suit recovers the full value of the property, in effect forcing the defendant to buy it." The question then is, what is the "price" of Sex.Com? Obviously that value has fluctuated greatly since Kremen registered it in May, 1994. From that date until October 17, 1995 it was never used to host a website. Cohen used his forged letter to steal it, and within a month made, I recall, $30K in his first month of traffic sales. By the time I recovered the domain in November, 2000, Cohen was making $400K per month. What the site is making now is everybody's guess and pure speculation. The real question for NSI will be "What price must we pay?" A quick review of the above chronology will suggest to you what their arguments might be....

Second, the result will ultimately have no material effect on NSI, because even a verdict of $45M would not adversely affect Verisign's financials, we can be sure, and this conversion claim by Kremen is simply a total fluke. Why? Because no one can file a conversion claim against Verisign now, due to the contractual waivers incorporated in the registration agreement. So the sky isn't falling for Verisign or any other registrars.

Third, NSI didn't process the registration change "for a fee of $1,000." The change was gratis, just like the cost of registration.

Fourth, the trial court never ruled that NSI was "immune" from anything, but rather that the "archaic law" of conversion didn't apply to domain names.

The original Ninth Circuit opinion is online at my website, and very much worth reading. GO TO this link Online Media Lawand click "In the News" on the navigation bar, then scroll down to the first hyperlink. Judge Kozinski's dissent will warm the heart of any domain name owner who ever experienced fury at hearing NSI say that domain names "aren't property."

Charles Carreon
Online Media Law, PLLC

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...see if the Court takes the very first step towards making domains genuine cyber properties just like parcels of land in real-estate.

IMHO -- the big waves will start when insurance companies recognize the property characteristics of domain names, and insure them not only against theft but against business interruption, same as you can recover if your storefront has a fire and has to shutdown for repairs. Do you currently list your domains as property in your insurance policy? Just a hint :)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by charles

IMHO -- the big waves will start when insurance companies recognize the property characteristics of domain names

I'm not convinced Domain Names are in fact property. We are merely leasing them from the respective registrars. The "Do We Actually Own Them" test has to be applied before "property" status can be granted IMHO. The public actually owns the Domain Name System. Even Verisign is leasing the rights to sell these names. Most registrant agreements even have you check off whether you agree with this or not. Domain names are simply IP addresses masked in a pneumonic fashion, nothing more. If we make Sex.com property based on it's name alone, would we not also have to classify all IP addresses such as http://199.345.98.2 as property as well???

Domain names are simply a form of advertising and sales tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Just because domain names appear to have "property-like" qualities doesn't make them property. There is a big difference in something "appearing" to be and actually taking the form of such an entity. The difference is huge [read further]

If Microsoft.com fails to resolve for whatever reason does that mean their "property" no longer exists?? No, it simply means their website is temporarily down because the IP address isn't resolving. Will their business suffer from this occurrence?? Yes, but so would be the case if their customer service phone numbers didn't work because of an power outtage. I don't see a big push for classifying 1-800 #'s as property. btw: The remedy to recoup costs for such and outtage is already covered under most business protection plans (I am assuming).

If domain names are classified as "property" what would stop the states from taxing you, just like they do now for owning physical property? I don't have a problem paying property taxes, but I do have a problem with states that don't keep a budget. More money in the state coffers= more money spent on pet projects.

Owning more than a few domain names would be prohibitive to most people do to the state enforcing it's right to tax "property". Corporations would not be as affected. They would be able to buy many domain names no matter how much they are taxed. This would give them an even greater edge in the online market given the fact that domain names have "keyword" functions. This is a fact that can't be dismissed.

Certainly with the added distinction of being "property" new laws would have to be enacted to "protect" them. More laws=more compliance. More compliance equals less control over what you can and can not do with your website(s).

One more thing. If domain names are "classified" as property, can you imagine the signficance of future WIPO decisions?? The whole TM debate would definitely be thrown into a quandry. Domain names are currently seen as "Intellectual property" governed under Intellectual property laws, but if domain names become "regular property", I can see a case being made for someone to keep "microsoftwindowz.com" under local property laws.

Dr. Postel is probably somewhere up there shaking his head. Domain names were never meant to be Intellectual Property or "Property" in general. The day Domain Names become property is the day the internet as we know it dies from overregulation.

Nothing is gained by making them property in my opinion. You can trade them and sell them already. You can buy a domain name, and do anything you want with it already. The only benefit I would see in classifying them as property would be to those who would benefit from their new "legal status". Frankly, I don't look forward to the day when the Sheriff comes out to my house because I forgot to pay my "domain property tax" on a name I had forgotten about....Yikes!!

izopod

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
I'm not convinced Domain Names are in fact property. We are merely leasing them from the respective registrars.
The "Do We Actually Own Them" test has to be applied before "property" status can be granted IMHO. The public actually owns the Domain Name System.

Point very well noted, and yet I believe, mistaken. The public owns the electromagnetic spectrum within the bounds of the nation, and vast tracts of mineral and forest reserves. Miners and loggers contract with the FCC, BLM and Forest Service harvest the fruits of these resources at a net loss to the nation. These resources are tangible, and fall within national borders.

Domain names, however, exist only within the structure of the Net, and through the creation of ICANN, have been internationalized. No nation asserts, or can assert legitimate rights of ownership over the Net.

So there is no sound basis for saying that any "public" less than all six billion of us owns the Net or the domain name system.

One thing we know -- if something is owned by everyone, it will be exploited inefficiently. This phenomenon is know as the "tragedy of the commons."

The traditional way to allocate rights wisely, so that they will be exploited efficiently, is by giving people property rights. Only then will Adam Smith's "invisible hand" begin to move our economy efficiently. Thus, the allocation of property rights is the beginning of wise administration of resources.

Even Verisign is leasing the rights to sell these names.

Yes, and the local County Recorder doesn't own the property in the County, either. They just keep the records of title. That doesn't mean that the dirt isn't property.

Domain names are simply a form of advertising and sales tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

They are use to advertise, like trademarks, which are also property. Indeed, trademarks are a form of super-property, which give the holder powers far beyond the ownership of mere objects. If you steal my dollar, and I sue you, I get back one dollar. But if you steal my trademark, I recover three times what you earn using my trademark. Hardly what I'd call "nothing more."

The remedy to recoup costs for such and outtage is already covered under most business protection plans (I am assuming).

There's no law on this that I know of, and there won't be until someone sues an insurance company. And it will be an uphill battle.

If domain names are classified as "property" what would stop the states from taxing you, just like they do now for owning physical property? I don't have a problem paying property taxes, but I do have a problem with states that don't keep a budget. More money in the state coffers= more money spent on pet projects.

Agree agree agree. If it's property, it can be taxed. But it can also be sold, secured, used as collateral, willed to your estate, etc. That makes property worth more, because it becomes more liquid. We add liquidity to our economy by designating things as property, and we have a trade-off. As far as states not budgeting, who can argue with that. But we'd have a lot more money for at-home use if we didn't pursue wars of empire.

Owning more than a few domain names would be prohibitive to most people do to the state enforcing it's right to tax "property". Corporations would not be as affected. They would be able to buy many domain names no matter how much they are taxed. This would give them an even greater edge in the online market given the fact that domain names have "keyword" functions. This is a fact that can't be dismissed.

I disagree. I think corporations are more advantaged by declaring domains to be not property, so they can more easily take them away from individuals. Which is why NSI fought and still fights the battle to claims that domains are not property.

One more thing. If domain names are "classified" as property, can you imagine the signficance of future WIPO decisions?? The whole TM debate would definitely be thrown into a quandry. Domain names are currently seen as "Intellectual property" governed under Intellectual property laws, but if domain names become "regular property", I can see a case being made for someone to keep "microsoftwindowz.com" under local property laws.

All of the above mistakenly assumes that there is any identifiable difference between "intellectual property" and other forms of "personal property." Such an oversimplification leads to substantial misunderstanding, and in your case, unwarranted fears.

Nothing is gained by making them property in my opinion. You can trade them and sell them already. You can buy a domain name, and do anything you want with it already.

Which is precisely why they ARE property already. In California, and many other states, property is simply defined as "anything that can be owned." Something must be owned before it can be traded or sold. One who owns nothing cannot give a bill of sale, for they have nothing to transfer. The battle has merely been to bring the law into harmony with actual practice.

And something very substantial is gained by establishing the legal status of domains as property. For only property can be stolen, and only property can be restored to its owner. Where there is no property, there can be no theft. Where there is no theft, the court has no power to restore ownership. Which was precisely Steve Cohen's argument in the Sex.Com case. But he lost, because it was a bad argument.

Thanks for your thoughts, which I do not mean to dismiss. However, I have spent thousands of hours thinking these ideas over and over and over. And I appreciate the opportunity to discuss them.

Yours truly,
Chas
Online Media Law, PLLC

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by charles

One thing we know -- if something is owned by everyone, it will be exploited inefficiently. This phenomenon is know as the "tragedy of the commons."

As a person who minored in Economics I would agree with you on this point. However we are talking about something that is not a "fixed" good or resource. Intangible assets can be distributed in a efficient manner if there is some mechanism to provide for smooth distribution. That delivery system comes in the form of a registrar, such as Afilias for instance. The registrar operates on a first come, first served model. Whomever "gets there first" and has the money get's the "piece of property". Only this property is leased and is a set of numbers which direct you to a particular website. The only property I truly consider "property" with respect to the Domain Name System is that black box in Virginia that acts like a switch board operator.

The traditional way to allocate rights wisely, so that they will be exploited efficiently, is by giving people property rights.

You assume too much. Individuals who "use" domain names already have "rights". The inefficienceis of the DNS occurs with the people who control the DNS, not the end user. The problem would only be acerbated by giving domain names, "property status". ICANN would then become the "Supreme Landlord". Just think of the amount of legal paperwork it would take to transfer a domain name. As it is right now, to do a land transfer you need it to be appraised, then legally handled either through a lawyer or agent of the court. Then you have to prove the "land" is free of any claims or back taxes. I'm not sure if you've thought about this, but if domain names are given "property" status people could then put "claims" against your newfound property. How in the world would this make the Domain Name System more efficient??? It wouldn't. It would however fill the state coffers, et al with more money which by definition is what "property taxes" and "land" are supposed to do.

They are use to advertise, like trademarks, which are also property.

Yeah, but you don't have to pay property taxes on trademarks. Only fees to process your claim, and to maintain it's status when you "renew". Funny how you never have to "renew" your land title every 7 years.

I disagree. I think corporations are more advantaged by declaring domains to be not property, so they can more easily take them away from individuals. Which is why NSI fought and still fights the battle to claims that domains are not property.

Again, you assume there are no laws to protect individuals for theft, or mishandling of their domain names. There is. IN the United States its the US court system. Did you not win the Sex.com case??? Which I applaud you for. Well done!!

All of the above mistakenly assumes that there is any identifiable difference between "intellectual property" and other forms of "personal property." Such an oversimplification leads to substantial misunderstanding, and in your case, unwarranted fears.

I'll agree my point was oversimplified, but my comments did bring home the fact that IP rights are VERY much different than regular property rights. Very different indeed! Intellectual Property asserts your rights for a limited time. You must also show "good faith" in actively using your IP rights otherwise you could lose those rights. The basis premise for IP rights was to protect those creations from someone stealing that creatation. It provides an economic benefit to the IP holder. If we didn't have IP rights, no one would bother to invent or create. Property rights on the other hand are usually linked to "specific geographical locations". Property rights do create a efficient marketplace where you have "physical assets". "Property rights" for intangible assets usually fall under IP rights.

And something very substantial is gained by establishing the legal status of domains as property.

This can be true of any "asset". However the problems would outweigh any gains. The idea that liens against your domain name name for failing to pay back taxes for instance, although I would like to see, would create havoc IMHO. The extra paperwork involved to transfer names would literally bog down the entire system. How efficient would it be to have 500 different property laws that ICANN would almost invariably have to come up with??? I shudder to think.... My guess is a Wipo-like clearinghouse would be created. Again, liens, claims, etc would have to be checked before each domain name would be sold. Although I am not very fond of Verisign, I almost certain the reason they don't want domains classified as property is because they don't want the hassle of being property managers...

For only property can be stolen, and only property can be restored to its owner. Where there is no property, there can be no theft. Where there is no theft, the court has no power to restore ownership. Which was precisely Steve Cohen's argument in the Sex.Com case. But he lost, because it was a bad argument.

Intangible assets can't be stolen? Forgive me for my lack of legal acumen but isn't that why Napster was shut down??

Thanks for your thoughts, which I do not mean to dismiss. However, I have spent thousands of hours thinking these ideas over and over and over. And I appreciate the opportunity to discuss them.

Likewise. I admire you for taking the time to discuss this topic. Although we disagree, by no means do I discount what you are saying. I am merely laying my case out as to why I don't think domain names should be classified as property.

Kindest Regards,

Gregory W. Krajewski
"izopod"

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, I had to "juggle" today :) I'm so far behind I just sent out thank you notes to the people who sent me Christmas cards. And I will reply either tonight or tomorrow. You gave me a lot to respond to!

Chas

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Desi

Unlike many here some folks have real jobs to attend to as well...:D

Jokes aside...Do you pronounce your name "Dizzy" or "Dezzy"?? :D

izopod

D

Desi

Originally posted by izopod

Jokes aside...Do you pronounce your name "Dizzy" or "Dezzy"?? :D

izopod

Try this:

"Day See"

Its equivalent of "Latino" for folks from India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, etc. etc. ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom