Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

shall i buy a LLL.com for 2x'xxx.-?

akropolis

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi there
I am a domainer since a couple of years, the sales and buys of my domains were previously about xxx.- to x'xxx.-.
Now, i have a little budget, and i think about to invest some money in a solid LLL.com domain. (no q/x/y...)
Because the investition is one of the biggest i ever made, i am not sure if this is a good idea.
but at the moment, the prices for lll.com are growing, so the risk will not be so big.
what do you mean? shall i do this next big step or better save the money in the bank?
regards
marcel

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, it depends on a number of factors. In order to maximize ROI, you should preferably be prepared to hold the domain for a long time (I mean years).
That means you have a lot of money tied up in one single domain. If you need emergency cash it can still be flipped to another domainer but you may end up selling at the price you bought - more or less.

I personally think these names are good investments, provided that you are patient and don't need to make a sale fast.

dejanlesi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you need to ask this on a forum then I would suggest you don't do it unless you are looking to make a longterm investment. For long term investments LLL.coms are probably a good idea as the value keeps on rising. If you are looking to make a quick flip then don't buy LLL.. Good luck however you decide!

1john2004

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if you are looking to make a quick flip I recommend you to buy LLL. Take into account that currently China is rulling the market so consider Chinese "premium letters" and q, x, y are very "premium" letters for China

akropolis

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thank you all.
i decided to buy it. i hope it's the right decision :)

DomainDep.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you think the domain is good, you like it, you think it is worth the money then BUY IT. That's how I make my decision.

Dushan Savich

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It depends on how good you are at domaining and how much money you would make investing 20.000$ in lots of domains, compared to investing it in just one. I with that said I am strongly considering doing the same as you did, I just have to talk myself in to investing so much money. Good luck with the domain in any case.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let us know if you were able to sell the name for a profit in a short period of time.
Good luck

yangtze

Domainschinese.COM
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IF you have a good buyer,i think you could.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Don't overextend your investment; the market is ripe for a serious correction. Right now the Chinese are buying like crazy but when they're done selling among themselves the prices are expected to drop.

akropolis

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@Theo: thank you. i know, the moment is not perfect, i am a half year too late. but i hope that the prices will stay that high for some months,
and i have to say, it's a solid LLL, not only for the chinese market..
we will see.. transfer is in progress.

jdwaverly

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In most ways, this business is very much like stocks, or any other market driven by supply and demand.
Several years ago, 2010 or so, many were very bearish on LLL.com's and thought that a $4500 floor price was too high.

Here's a blog post written at that time
http://www.domainmagnate.com/2010/09/02/3charactercom-price-guide-is-way-outdated-and-incorrect/

The Chinese were investing heavily in gold, NOT DOMAINS, and were driving gold into the Stratosphere, peaking around summer 2011:
http://c3352932.r32.cf0.rackcdn.com/content/picb29d2318c3146c6e969b44b3288923d2.png

Then Gold crashed, and the Chinese started investing in domains instead.

But the cycle will repeat once domains get too expensive. Demand will dry up and prices will correct.

So, don't be like most investors in the stock market, who frantically SELL when it crashes and
BUY just as it reaches the peak. When they should be doing the opposite.

Other examples include the Real Estate market around 2005 or so, when just listed houses had
2 or more offers for more than the listing price! People were frantic "Let's buy before the price goes any higher!". By 2008, many were sitting in houses that were suddenly worth less than half of what they paid.

Buy low, sell high is the only way to make money.

Is it too late to buy into this bull market?
Not sure, I don't have a crystal ball.

But if you are going to invest, make sure it is in QUALITY.
Premium letters. Premium numbers. Dotcoms only.

If the bottom drops out, or the music stops (pick your favorite metaphor) you don't want to be the one holding junk ( that you overpaid for).

Personally, I'm selling now and making nice profits.

Just my opinion.

Just for my own amusement I did a search on the forums for "LLL.com" in the last month.
Returned 19 threads, only 1 was a seller, 18 looking to buy.
Sounds like a lot of people chasing the market.

For Reference here's the Internet Domain Price index for the same period:
http://www.idnx.com/

Very interesting how domain prices started to rise January 2013 at exactly the same time as Gold reached the bottom, backing my points above.

Last edited:

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
would add that unlike stocks and real estate there is limited number of LLL.com. would expect to see a drop in LLLL.com pricing if chinese demand comes down or those folks can no longer flip them to make a quick roi.-- with LLL.com it is quite different. some find it harder to pick good letters now as what is premium for asians is quite different for americans, when you look at the letters. do not see them going back to below 5k but can see how some might go back to selling low xx,xxx like 12-13k if things don't stay unchanged.
--

to op's question i would pay 20k right now for any LLL.com with letters i'd want. another issue:whether or not you can tie up 20k and sit on the domain for long if a good offer doesn't come your way. tough call and many think LLL.com are at the top but no one knows for sure. and the letters you do not want (QXY) are premium in china as v is the only consonant they avoid. curious as to whether you decided to go for premium letters in china or our own premiums (no QXZYW, etc.), or you went for a mixed bag.- good luck.--

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with jdwaverly's opinion 100%, don't get stuck hold a bag of garbage for $20k.

On the other hand depends on the letters lol

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom