Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Should i also register the .net / other tlds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rin

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I registered the .com for a business I'm going to develop. The .net and other tlds are available. I don't want to waste money registering them needlessly, but are there reasons I should consider doing so?

I can't go into details about the business at this stage, nor can I mention the domain name - obviously. I can say the business will be aimed at an international customer base, and I, and it, will be based in the UK - I don't know if that makes any difference re whether I should register the .co.uk.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.

Rin

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For a business yes, for investment no,

-=DCG=-

rin

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks DotComGod,

It's for a business. What's the thinking behind needing to have the others registered? And which ones should I register?

Thanks again.

getschoolhelp

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
register .com as much as you can, if not then .net .

also youd register all of them, if it was a generic name, or something you KNOW you could make a lot of money on, also big thing is business.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Register .com, .net, .org ...and stop there.

and get your own ccTLD

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and .us if you are in U.S.A.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree, use and promote the .com but also register the .net, .org, and maybe even the .info and your ccTLD (I don't know the ccTLD for Ireland). You aren't looking at too much, maybe $50-$60 (US) a year total and it is good to protect your business name.

Build, promote, and use the .com, point / 301 redirect all of the others to the .com

Checkmate cybersquatters and competition before they even notice you (especially if you're successful).

rin

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice - very much appreciated.

I accept that I should register other tlds, but I don't understand why..?

If I market myself as companyname.com - who's going to go to companyname.net - except for a few people who are a little curious - which isn't really going to lose me business.

?

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For business, it is worth it to take all the common tlds. In my case, arcadescript.com and gamescript.com, I have registered all possible commonly used tlds and forwarded to the .com domain. I believe it is worth the time to get the domains now then to regret later.

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice - very much appreciated.

If I market myself as companyname.com - who's going to go to companyname.net - except for a few people who are a little curious - which isn't really going to lose me business.

?

For a business it's best not to get the business name diluted by the possibility of other businesses in the future using the same name, just another extension.
It's a cheap price to pay to be unique, and no future TM issues or such.
For my businesses I try to get .com, .net and .org, plus (in most cases) the cctld of the business. I don't even decide on a business name unless the .com is available, or possible to purchase on the aftermarket.
If the other tlds aren't available, then I'll settle for the .com only, but if not, I'll get them.

But, as mentioned, for investing purposes, I only get the .com.

--G

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

You build up yourbusiness.com (an example). YourBusiness.com becomes successful so other people register YourBusiness.net, .org, .ir (Ireland?), .info etc. and start to do shoddy versions of your business.

Your business can hurt from that since they can look like you but aren't you.

Also, a competitor could get YourBusiness.net / .org etc.. and deliberately do a bad job thus bringing your business to him.

It's not about TLDs when it comes to development, a .org, .net, .info, .whatever can beat out the same domain in a .com when it comes to SEO and if someone is good, they can easily take away all of your search engine traffic which is death to any online business.

Yes, they can beat you with YoorBusiness.com, YoreBusiness.com etc.. but most people would notice it is not the same site.

HuntingMoon

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the test is how upset you would be if somebody reg's the other extensions. it could also save you a lot of legal expenses in the future if you need to protect your company.

ravdn

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Register main tld's .com, .org, .net, .mobi, .info and your home country cc tld.

cashads

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If its a UK business register the .co.uk name too google.co.uk perfers these names over others
and will give you an advantage when you do SEO

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with mobi.
Total waste.
If you consider .mobi you might as well go after the land of Borat - .kz

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom