Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Should I get both .com and .net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikeanut

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have found a couple of good domain names that are still available and I was curious, should I get both the .com and .net domains, or should I just stick with the .com? I guess I should just try to get both and monopolize that domain, might as well get the .info as well then. What do you guys think?

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you will plan to develop reg .com and .net
If it is a new company reg .com and .net too
If you want parking the domain reg only .com

Welcome to DNF! :)

spikeanut

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the quick response! That was fast. So another question, if I want to develop, can I just develop the .com and make the .net and .info forward to it? If so, would the hits on my .net and .info count at all, or will my .com be getting all the traffic?

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the quick response! That was fast. So another question, if I want to develop, can I just develop the .com and make the .net and .info forward to it? If so, would the hits on my .net and .info count at all, or will my .com be getting all the traffic?

Sure you can just develop the .com and make the .net and .info forward to it.
The .com will receive all traffic.

Agree with Johnn: .com, .net, .org & .info are the major extensions to reg if you want develop a strong website (and defend your brand online).

wussadotcom

Level 6
Reaction score
Another stupid idea of mine.Develop the .net really good and get a high traffic ratio per month. Then park the .com domain. You'll get 2 income source :p

Arrogance

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Depending on the meaning of the name, you may want to grab .org also.
In some cases the .org hold higher value than the .net

Completely agree

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's been my experience that the .org gets much more mistake type-in traffic than the .net. If I were to get only one other tld with my .com it would be the .org, not the .net.

wussadotcom

Level 6
Reaction score
It's been my experience that the .org gets much more mistake type-in traffic than the .net. If I were to get only one other tld with my .com it would be the .org, not the .net.

Your getting more typeins for .org?:?: Does it have something to do with your siggy :lol:
I always thought generally .net is the 2nd most popular extension after .com
Meaning people usually hear more about .com and .net than .org
However regarding rep, .org have high standards as high quality sites are build on .org for organization. In term of traffic though, .net should be getting more than .org

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is how I look at it (and I think it goes close to the consensus):

If I'm going to park it - .com (unless it is an extremely good other TLD).

If I'm going to use it as a significant business, .com, .net, .org, .info, and .us (or insert your own ccTLD).

Informational site - .com, .org, and maybe .info (if it is really good).

A minor business, .com, .net and .org

I've also noticed that .org domains get more type ins than .nets (but it could be my niche).

Another stupid idea of mine.Develop the .net really good and get a high traffic ratio per month. Then park the .com domain. You'll get 2 income source :p

Wow, you know times are interesting when people start to cybersquat themselves! Imagine the WIPO case for that one! :lol:

I don't know about you, friend, but I wouldn't bet my wallet on .info...

There are some good .info domains out there that if developed correctly, can rake in a good amount of revenue and traffic.

Granted, .com is the king but a good keyword.info is far better than a bobskeywordonlinesite.com

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your getting more typeins for .org?:?: Does it have something to do with your siggy :lol:
I always thought generally .net is the 2nd most popular extension after .com
Meaning people usually hear more about .com and .net than .org
However regarding rep, .org have high standards as high quality sites are build on .org for organization. In term of traffic though, .net should be getting more than .org

Far from the case... names that are suited for the extension (.org) at least in my portfolio always out perform the .net. And I have vested on the new political administration that this trend will continue in depth.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Far from the case... names that are suited for the extension (.org) at least in my portfolio always out perform the .net.

ditto.

Really no comparison as org beats net by a mile most all the time as far as traffic and typeins go. Always hard to understand why it seems so few domainers realize that.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generally agree with the majority above, although with the proviso that depending on the targeted geographical market you might also want the cctld/s. Another fact to take into account is future development potential and risk the few dollars for the .tv as well (a very rare recommendation from me for that suffix - but could be justified in certain cases).

For a major development project the potential outlay in registering domain names is under $100 - $150 a year, and that should cover all your registration costs and leave little if any room for a competitor to steal even a small percentage of your visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom