Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Should I Modify Domain Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDee123

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This question may be sophomoric, but I am new to the domain name world.

Does capitalizing letters in the domain name completely change it? For instance, if my domain name is: thebestdomainname.com

Should I also purchase TheBestDomainName.com? Are these the same, or completely different domain names?

Thanks for a response.

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are these the same, or completely different domain names?

Thanks for a response.

Hi

even though they are the same domain name, whether it is capitalized or all lower case, could affect the "perception and or readbility.....when marketing, promoting or using in title of webpage.

imo...

JayDee123

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

even though they are the same domain name, whether it is capitalized or all lower case, could affect the "perception and or readbility.....when marketing, promoting or using in title of webpage.

imo...

Yes, I think so as well. For instance one of my domain names (to be sold, not for use) is MrGreenbacks.com. I think it reads better than mrgreebacks.com. The question then becomes, does it matter when I put it up for sale - will it maybe sell faster if I use the capital letters?

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO all names should be capitalized when it's appropriate. MrGreenbacks.com looks a lot better then mrgreenbacks.com. Whether you'll park, develop or sell it, always call it that. It makes the domains more easily readable and also more memorable. It will also sell faster, trust me. If you owned california.com some may think it looks cool w/o caps and I'd tend to agree

thebestdomainname.com is much harder to read than TheBestDomainName.com. The latter is how you should always spell it. I've worked in mktg and I just don't see any advantage for the 1st spelling. Even if you're just going over your own names see how easy it is to go over them with correct capitalization

unitedstates.com may work in some cases, that's where what you intend to convey with the domain comes to play. Remember if it's clearer to read it will be remembered more by browsers and they will also see more easily that there aren't misspellings. Check out schoolsstudentswishtoattend.com, that is just awful. Now check out SchoolsStudentsWishToAttend.com. There are exceptions like MyPCRepair.com, MyXXXEden.com, etc where even capitalized it's not as easy to read (PCR stands out in the 1st domain and XXXE stands out in the 2nd, and that was not intended with the capitalization)

JayDee123

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMO all names should be capitalized when it's appropriate. MrGreenbacks.com looks a lot better then mrgreenbacks.com. Whether you'll park, develop or sell it, always call it that. It makes the domains more easily readable and also more memorable. It will also sell faster, trust me. If you owned california.com some may think it looks cool w/o caps and I'd tend to agree

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I will definitely do this with several of my domains, it's pretty easy to see what works with the caps and what doesn't. This gives me many more options.

:)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Although, with some domain sales venues/parking companies, you don't have the option to capitalize domain names in order to have the readability you want. It's up for the end user searching for a domain name. If they're uncertain (as you were), they will search for MrGreenbacks.com and have the option to buy mrgreenbacks.com. Most likely, they will purchase it because MrGreenbacks.com is not available (as both are the same) and will buy it if they've done their research. If you create your own sales/landing/minisite on that website, you can capitalize it yourself.

JayDee123

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Although, with some domain sales venues/parking companies, you don't have the option to capitalize domain names in order to have the readability you want. It's up for the end user searching for a domain name. If they're uncertain (as you were), they will search for MrGreenbacks.com and have the option to buy mrgreenbacks.com. Most likely, they will purchase it because MrGreenbacks.com is not available (as both are the same) and will buy it if they've done their research. If you create your own sales/landing/minisite on that website, you can capitalize it yourself.

Thanks - I like the idea of the minisite (for sale). I'm going to give it a try. :cool:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's true, when you see your domains for sale on marketplaces you normally don't have the option of choosing capitalization except for places like Namedrive's NDX, there you do, if you list or park it your way that's the way it'll show up, too bad NDX isn't a bigger aftermarket site, some still don't know about it

And that's why I won't park with Bodis also, last time I cheked if you parked T8C.com or YellowCabs.com with them the page would read T8c.com and Yellowcabs.com, totally unacceptable. So unless my domains are numeric or having only the first letter capitalized might make a little sense (Moonshining.com lol) that's a no go for me. It should be yellowcabs.com or YELLOWCABS.COM if you don't have the technology to offer custom capitalization, but capitalizing the first letter only for all domains is a major deficiency (and acronyms look like Ujh.com and Tgif.com, even worse....)

RookMedia, one of the newest guys, has exactly the same problem as Bodis but they're new, so as I suggested to them, they need to change that eventually

Although, with some domain sales venues/parking companies, you don't have the option to capitalize domain names in order to have the readability you want. It's up for the end user searching for a domain name........ If you create your own sales/landing/minisite on that website, you can capitalize it yourself

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I like the idea of the minisite (for sale). I'm going to give it a try. :cool:

Send Chuck (administrator) a PM and see what he can do for you that fits your budget for creating minisites. He is very professional and the content delivered gets you ranked high and fast (don't know how he does it, but it works).

...God, after so many plugs, I think I should become an affiliate. :lol:

If you've made any sales from these Chuck, I will expect a new Rolex in the mail by next week. ;)

Edit: and not a knockoff :smilewinkgrin:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a sophomoric Q when you're starting anything, you just joined here like yesterday lol .....and you should've seen the Qs I was asking 5 yrs ago, in fact I still ask noob Qs to this date lmao, so.....it all depends if you're doing this gig f/t and you don't have a day job (not my case), if so you can advance a lot faster, many here fit that profile, but I assume you aren't doing this f/t either....

The other issue you raised in another thread/section about privacy was a really good one, there is no agreement as to that topic, and there's no noob or pro position on it, I liked the fact you raised it, many of us face that same situation all the time...

:eek:k:

This question may be sophomoric, but I am new to the domain name world......

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think so as well. For instance one of my domain names (to be sold, not for use) is MrGreenbacks.com. I think it reads better than mrgreebacks.com. The question then becomes, does it matter when I put it up for sale - will it maybe sell faster if I use the capital letters?

sell faster?

depends on who's looking

for the experienced eye, it doesn't matter...for all others it may.

with parking:

if you have domains with "type-in traffic", it's more important that relevant ads or links relating to the keywords of the domain appear on the pages, than whether or not the domain is in caps.

why?

because it's type-in traffic, therefore visitors are already familar with the domain in some way.

as opposed to one with no traffic that has more than two words.

however, the feed may recognize the keywords better in some cases, if the terms are seperated in the title.

and there are other ppc's including voodoo, IT,etc. who offer the cap option as a seperator

eg:
geobroker com
hairoutlet com

imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators