Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Should I search for dot net and dot org

Status
Not open for further replies.

lateshow

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If a person owns a 3 letter domain dot com somewhat random such as:

rst.com and lets assume it's worth about $1200

is it money smart to buy the dot net and dot org for

rst.net $200 ?
rst.org $200 ?

That would be $1600 for all three domains but a reseller could
almost buy another 3 letter dot com for the extra spent on the dot net & dot org.

What do you think is it important money wise to have the net & org?
Or should the net & org be priced more like $150 & $100?

Thanks Much, Ron

[email protected]

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think it makes much difference to own 'the set' anymore. It used to be the case that you should own every single instance of a domain i.e. the .com, .net, .org but i think this is a practise that is slowly dying out.

for my money i would go for a second 3-letter.com than 2 .org/.net

i'm sure that people will disagree with this but thats my opinion

Ciq

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about a reseller or an end-user? For the latter, it depends on how important that name is to him or her, or if the owner is going to develop it into a bigger project which could use the other domains for some purpose (e.g. e-mail or something).

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nice to have the sets, but I think .org is not as much as .net price.
But that's depends on how you deal with the owner.
In this case I see .net and .org owned by one person. So, you can just make one price for both. :D

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To me, this "complete-the-set" mentality was always silly... like people think it's a game of Monopoly and you need all three so you can build houses or a hotel on them. You just need one name to build a Web site on. Get the one that makes sense for you... .org if it's a noncommercial site, .net if it's a network provider, .com for commercial use, or maybe .info for an informational site (or other TLD as appropriate for more specialized uses).

lateshow

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I will be the end user of these domains but I will also be selling them in about a year. I think I can get the most for the buck (dollar) if I stick with dot COM's in this case.
:D Thanks

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you had the complete set, you would want to sell them separately anyway. More $$$.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use to do the set thing and still do if I like the name or it's easily accessable. But realistically it's not totally important other than brand protection. If you are talking about a brandable name (ie. Yahoo etc) and the .net and .org are readily available go for it. The reg price is worth it. But if it's 3 letters that aren't known nationally (ie. NBC etc) or a generic term I wouldn't go out of my way.

lateshow

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by think
I use to do the set thing and still do if I like the name or it's easily accessable. But realistically it's not totally important other than brand protection. If you are talking about a brandable name (ie. Yahoo etc) and the .net and .org are readily available go for it. The reg price is worth it. But if it's 3 letters that aren't known nationally (ie. NBC etc) or a generic term I wouldn't go out of my way.

:rolleyes: Good ideas now I know where you got your "handle"
'think"
Cool Member

and 'doberry' Domain Whiz
of course is right. You-all may have saved me some $$$.
And correct I will sell them separately if and when, I'd also like to have
more expensive names and less sales since I'm just a half
way name reseller (as you can tell)

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom