Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

question Should I trademark my domain?

This is a general or domain name related question.

CharlieBrown

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been running certain websites for over a decade. Let's call them "CharliesCoolFridges.com" and "BestFridges.com" - I registered the domains over 10 years ago, developed the websites, and I am actively running the websites successfully. I also created a lot of content, youtube videos, reviews, etc for both websites.

As the websites became successful, I became aware of cyber squatters buying up various typos and misspellings of my domains, or alternative versions of my websites, such as:

CharlieCoolFridges.com
CharliesCoolFridge.com
BestFridge.com

I want to protect my brand, so I was thinking of trademarking my domains. From my understanding, trademarking "CharliesCoolFridges.com" should be OK, while "BestFridges.com" might run into problems. But, either way, should I go ahead and file a trademark at https://www.uspto.gov/ for both of my domains?

Then, should I trademark the phrase "Charlies Cool Fridges" in addition to "CharliesCoolFridges.com" ? I am creating lots of content and spending money on my brand, so I want to protect is as much as I can. Then, I would also potentially be interested in filing WIPO action to get control of the cyber squatting domains.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Domain summit 2024

aleksey.k

Snake Charmer (Python3, DevOps)
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
+1 for USPTO. Otherwise, someone might create the same brand and try to take down your website under UDRP. It's not a very often situation, but avoiding it is totally worth of time being spent

Darlington Omeh

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What you just said is the best action to take. If you don't, someone else may come for you in the near future.

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you've put in the time and effort to create the brand, and if there is a significant amount of searches per month for your brand, you should protect it. You don't necessarily have to trademark the domain--you'd trademark the brand instead.

You can always protect your domain itself by making sure it has a high DNP Score (which will minimize the risk of losing it). You can also apply for domain protection at DNProtect.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
Hello, yes you should.
Today I got into looking about trademark and found an interesting Link on USPTO website, newbies should look into this before registering similar domains.

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Before registering domains, you definitely should search the TESS system from USPTO. We actually do that as a part of the DNP Score for you, so if you check the DNP Score of the domain name it will tell you if there is a trademark issue with the domain name.

Darlington Omeh

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Before registering domains, you definitely should search the TESS system from USPTO. We actually do that as a part of the DNP Score for you, so if you check the DNP Score of the domain name it will tell you if there is a trademark issue with the domain name.
I think you guys need to add link to the DNP at the DNForum navigation bar.

Last edited:

ecoracer

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It's not yet clear to me but to be more secure apply for a TM for both seperate: "domain name" and "domain name + tld extention" ...

I don't know how big companies trademark their brand/s, recently lottery.com did apply for TM + tld inside ... i read this somewhere ... It seems logic to me to apply for both legaly protective speaking.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not yet clear to me but to be more secure apply for a TM for both seperate: "domain name" and "domain name + tld extention" ...

I don't know how big companies trademark their brand/s, recently lottery.com did apply for TM + tld inside ... i read this somewhere ... It seems logic to me to apply for both legaly protective speaking.
Might've seen my comment on DomainGang?

I'm really unsure how that would work with a generic like Booking.com being trademarked and Booking.net coming along...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators