Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Should Mods close threads for no apparent good reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The flowers.org thread was suddenly closed by a Mod. I do not at all agree with Mods closing threads for no good reason, just because they may not like the way the posts are going or whatever reason. Why do that, it is a form of censorship which is rarely needed. This has also happened at other forums (DS) where Admins sometimes close threads quickly with not too valid sounding explanations, and which involved no forum rule violations.

One big reason a thread should not be closed by a Mod is there may be posts which have not been replied to and closing the thread stops a reply which he has been waiting for and as a result the poster wasted time doing a post with no way to get replies.

For example, this post (by me) in the closed flowers.org thread -

"Hi Nick, flowers.org has to be the most in-demand name I have ever seen at this forum. After seeing the amazing demand you must be upset you sold the name without more open bidding as judging by this thread it seems you may have got a much higher price, perhaps several hundred percent greater. "Nick, How do you account for the amazing interest in this dot-org (flowers.org)? Can you disclose the price? You must have made lots of money since you paid no cash at all, just a trade. Can you disclose the name you traded for it with the owner of roses.com?"

Upvote 0

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
agreed....

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
[/Thread MOVED from the "Lounge" to "Suggestions and Feedback" by Moderator]

Not to make things too philosophical, the "flowers.org" SALES thread was closed (by a fellow mod) for good reasons. First off, it was actually done upon request of NamePopper.com (the seller and thread starter) when the domain name itself had been SOLD.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Though it doesn't matter that I do, I agree that the thread was a candidate for closure.

It was a "SALES thread", once the sale is made, and the buyer has said his peace, I'd imagine it shouldn't spin out of control as if it were a discussion. Also, you may not notice, but in THAT particular forum (sales), new posts will make it keep popping up to the top, even though the sale was completed, and the thread needed no more attention to do its "job".

I honestly believe there are reasons why things happen in forums (at least well-moderated forums), that we as "dwellers" may not be immediately "clear" on. A better question might be, is there a better mechanism for the appropriate level of transparency?

I think Whois-Search was reasonably to the point about why it was closing. My assumption about "thread behavior" adversely affecting the purpose of that forum only required a small amount of good-will to work out. Not everything need be looked at as if done with evil intent...

~ Nexus

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mods are mods, they do what they think is right for the forum.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave [/Thread MOVED from the "Lounge" to "Suggestions and Feedback" by Moderator]
Not to make things too philosophical, the "flowers.org" SALES thread was closed (by a fellow mod) for good reasons. First off, it was actually done upon request of NamePopper.com (the seller and thread starter) when the domain name itself had been SOLD.

That's a good point, thanks for making that clear :) I almost forgot it was a sales thread what with all the other action going on :eek:

But where do you draw the line about new posts in a thread after a sale is made? Why not simply close every thread once a sale is made. Is there anyhing inherently wrong in letting a dsicussion continue even after a sale occurs?

Perhaps since Pooper wanted it closed that is understandable but that fact was not mentioned when the Mod closed the thread, perhaps it should have been stated rather than making it seem like it was all the Mods doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom