Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Shouldn't we consider the purpose of a domain when valueing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I've started this thread because of the comments on my haybox domain. I opened a new thread because the cocept is much broader than one cheap domain.

Most of the valuations seem to be based on attracting Internet traffic through search engines. This is OK for a lot on domains, but not relevant to a domain for a small local business that doesn't have a chance of getting in the first 100 pages. For them other forms of advertising are more important. Some of my domains have been bought to be easily memorable for a car driver that passes a sign and can't write down the details. Haybox is one of these, and hay boxes are part of everyday life for horse owners. It is the same as calling a fishing tackle shop "the Bait Box". The value is in the mind of the buyer and he may have more affinity with haybox.com than with arabhorseridingschool.com.

Who is going to be first to disagree with me.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You make a good point, however you are dealing with a very small market with limited resources with Haybox.com. With the market pretty much at rock bottom it's hard to value domains except for type-ins and search engine results

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The horse trade is not at rock bottom in England.

P

President Gringo

well it all boils down to supply and demand.....yes yours is memorable, but you could probably find 100,000 names that are just as memorable.

Yes yours is easy to remember, that makes it brandable.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand your thinkin DomainPairs, but the market is so tiny and any potential resale value so small, most people would not bother with such names (especially since as Gringo pointed out it would be easy for someone to register one of their own). It is unlikely a private party would give you more than $50-$100 for a name, so everyone shoots for names that would be of value to a corporation with so money to spend.

If you outlined your thinking when posting a name it would help people see the development potential and perhaps view the name somewhat differently.

By the way...I didn't mean to come across too harshly in the haybox thread. Criticism of posted names is not personal criticism though a lot of people take it that way (you were wise enough not to). I've registered plenty of names that I learned had no potential. I am getting better as I go along and am making enough sales to keep me interested now. However I still have plenty to learn and this is a good place to do it!

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think you learn more by being attacked. If people always tell you how good you are you never get any better.

I think the point I was trying to make is that the Internet has contracted in some ways and expanded in others. It is still full of Internet professionals that sell to each other and not to end users. Maybe if we sold end user type names we could expand the market.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainPairs
I think you learn more by being attacked. If people always tell you how good you are you never get any better.

I think the point I was trying to make is that the Internet has contracted in some ways and expanded in others.

That is definitely true. I have registered names I thought were really good only to be deflated very quickly when posting them here to a cold reception! As it turns out in hindsight, the critics were usually right and I do a little better job of regging now.

Like your haybox example, I have registered some localized names I intend to put businesses on. They would have no appraised value because they are directed to this market, but I think I can make a good niche business out of them one day. However in this case the names have value to me as a developer not for resale.

Darkfire001

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with most of the points made here ecspecially the alot of people feel the criticism is directed at the person. I only own say 30 Domains and maybe 2 have re-sale value. And most the ones ive posted on forums have got shot down, but just makes me more careful next time I buy some. And reason appraisals for Haybox might have been low was as said is a niche market and would take alot of work and personal investment to provide a steady return. So I dont see someone paying several hundred dollars for it.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
100 domains at $50 profit makes a handy sideline and probably takes up less time than posting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom