Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Site Moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNForum Members,

Thanks for the warm reception. It is very much appreciated.
The indication I'm getting is I'm not the only one that loves this place.

I've had several nominations and requests to be a moderator. After looking at the private moderator section of the forums, being a moderator looks like a fun job. I think anyone who wants to be a moderator and there's not strong opposition to the person being a moderator, should have a chance to moderate. To accomplish this, I would need to set up moderation terms of service. Maybe 3-6 month terms.

Give me some feedback on what you think of this idea. Also, PM me if you would like to be a moderator.

Thanks,

Greg

Upvote 0

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Iam not so sure this is a good idea Gregr. Moderators should be people who would would not retaliate, edit posts, or just flex their muscles just because they can.

If you use rotating moderators, then you run into more of a chance that somebody might do this and hence people getting into personality wars.

My devalued 1 cent :)

-Bob

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bob
Iam not so sure this is a good idea Gregr. Moderators should be people who would would not retaliate, edit posts, or just flex their muscles just because they can.

If you use rotating moderators, then you run into more of a chance that somebody might do this and hence people getting into personality wars.

My devalued 1 cent :)

-Bob

Yes, I agree it's best to stick with the same moderators.

Perhaps we need a moderator for the moderators? ;)

Cheers,

Chris.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think that having the same "mods" is a good thing for stability reasons, but having a moderator year after year who is burnt out is not a good thing.

As with anthing you have to think "outside-the-box". All boards tend to get stale and old with the same moderators after about a year. It happens and it's been well documented. It's just a fact that you need "fresh" blood everyone now and then. Even for a night or two. What I would suggest is to have "permanent" mods and "part-time" mods. Every now and then "part time" mods with a expert-like background in the domain business could "mod" a night or two. People could ask them questions, etc. Meanwhile, the "permanent" mods would get a break, and yet they would be there after the "part time" mods are gone to keep the continuity going; knowing the people (ip addrs) who are going to make trouble for the board.

This concept will keep things fresh, as well as keep stability.

One other thing. Keep a running list of "permanent" mods that could take over in the off-chance one of them has to leave or departs for whatever reason. This is for insurance purposes, if there is ever again a "hostile" take-over attempt.

I do LOVE this community. Who would have ever thought a kid started it. Hmmm Maybe that was why there were so many 20 something CEO's in the late 1990's. They had "Fresh" ideas, I guess. However it takes experience to make something last. I believe "DNF" has a very strong future. My prediction is that a rebound in the tech sector will occur in the 1st Quarter of 2003. We will need this board more than ever during that time.

BTW: Excellent getting Whois-Search and Bob on board. You couldn't have asked for better mods!

O.C.

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
A few times a week some one seems to sign up just to promote their own businesses. I run across posts like this one a lot.

I don't want to be a moderator, but rather a restricted mod underling. A "Weeder of Spammy Self Promotion", if you will. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators