Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

skype.co.il - Is this legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Will the header of this page http://skype.co.il/ help against a WIPO or TM infraction case.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ummm, making up a reason to use a domain name that infringes on a TM will not help you if challenged. Let's take your example.. "Sky Parachute Equipment", I get it, the only problem is you do not sell any parachute equipment at all. It is not even a real business. Next, look at the page, it is clearly a parking page and not one reference of parachute equipment at all. Third, you do make a reference to skype, you are admitting you know of the TM. Forth, you have links to Skype and VOIP...

So if I was with skype, I know I would have a screen shot of this and then I would laugh when you try explaining you right to use the domain with the flimsy attempt to create a reason for using a TM as opposed to a valid reason.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just 1 clarification DNQuest.Com. I have nothing to do with this domain. Just wanted to know if this sort of idea could help in any way.

BTW, I would tend to agree with your arguments.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:)

Intent and usage plays an important role in deciding cases.. BS usually never works (though people have tried :) )

I will replace the "you" with " the domain owner" in the above post :) (better? lol)

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does Skype hold an TM in Israel? If they do, the domain owner will have to handover the domain eventually. If they don't, it depends on the laws in Israel.

kiviniar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no worth....prospective buyers will shy away in case they forsee a TM issue also getting typein traffic with that extension would be like ......once in a million...

no worth

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
snicksnack said:
Does Skype hold an TM in Israel? If they do, the domain owner will have to handover the domain eventually. If they don't, it depends on the laws in Israel.

This answers your question - http://patentim.justice.gov.il/db1.htm, as yes they do. However, even without that, they should still lose. There was a precedent between yahoo intl. vrs. yahoo.co.il, even though Yahoo Intl., had no Israeli TM and no offices in Israel, they still won the case, and got the domain.

As far as laws, there is no specific Cybersquatting law, however, the TM infraction laws, are basically the same as in US.

As far as traffic goes, I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually getting a few type ins or more per day.

I forgot to mention, the TM is later than the domain registration.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Please do not confuse with common law TM with registered Marks. Though Yahoo had no registered marks in Isreal, Thier TM is still prevelant world wide which is why they won.

As far as cybersquatting laws, there is the ACPA (Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act) which amneds the Lanhan Act by adding title 43. Though it is a US law, if the registry is located in the US, then jurisdiction could be US regardless where the registrant may live.

Now, it does seem this was registered in september 2003, but.... skype issued a beta press release in August 2003.... Are you sure the TM is after registration?

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now, it does seem this was registered in september 2003, but.... skype issued a beta press release in August 2003.... Are you sure the TM is after registration?

No, I'm not. I was relying upon the date from the previous link. I still see Skype as being similar to Yahoo though, since they are quite famous internationally. BTW, Yahoo apparently is a dictionary term, which didn't help either.

VioxxLawyers

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Skype is eBay now, so a giant company, they have a lot of experience in domain, TM hijacking.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fab said:
Will the header of this page http://skype.co.il/ help against a WIPO or TM infraction case.
IMO it's asking for trouble, also the ads are serving VOIP content and it's obvious the name is "confusingly similar" to a well-known brand, which is now part of E-bay, a big company with $$$$$ and lawyers on a retainer I suppose :greenwink:
Also, skyp.com has been on UDRP recently so I would not be surprised to see you next in line. Now that you are warned govern yourself accordingly.
To put it simply a disclaimer is not a protection or waiver.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom