Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sleep Number vs Temperpetic beds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mppedersen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a temperpetic or sleepnumber bed? Im debating between the two of them. Any assistance would be great!

Domain Days 2024

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a good question: I will be watching for updates.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know this issue quite well. Tempur-Pedic is the real deal. I didn't work for the company but I worked with them for many years in the past. Have been to their headquarters in Kentucky and met with their management team. There is the occassional person that doesn't like the mattress, but they have a satisfaction guarantee.

Funny thing about air mattresses, both a firm and soft setting are supposed to be good for your back according to the salesman. And if you like the middle setting...well that's good for you too apparently. That doesn't make a lot of sense intuitively, does it? Also, their most premium mattresses will often have a layer of Tempur-pedic type foam on the top. Pretty funny when that salesman tries to tell you how bad Tempur-Pedic foam is, but there it is on their most expensive beds.

taboo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ummm waterbed.

pleasedelete

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask. I am also currently looking to solve my sleep problem with a new bed. I used to think I had sleep problems, but I noticed a pattern of good sleep when I was on other beds, and bad sleep when I was on mine. Now, I'm convinced it is the bed. I have a hard bed and I think I need a softer one. As a computer scientist, I love using tools to optimize things. What bed could be cooler than a bed which allows you to optimize your sleep.

I've watched the SleepNumber Bed infomercial by Select Comfort and have the brochure on my counter. I was planning on getting one sometime soon from the Select Comfort store in a nearby mall.

Things I like about what I saw:

1) Air will never harden and lose flexibility like foam will. I have a thick soft padding I put on top of my current hard bed. It didn't take too long until an image of me appeared in it. Then, when I lay in my impression, all the softness has been compressed out and I am practically on the hard bed again.

2) They did pressure point tests to prove that air wraps around your body, giving more area of contact between body and the matress. With more point of contact, comes more distributed support. That, in turn, helps your blood to flow without getting cut off (which causes discomfort and tossing/turning).

I actually am scared of their high end matresses because of the inclusion of thick foam layers mentioned above by Duckinla.

I haven't heard anyone complain about a SleepNumber bed, but I have a friend whose parents love theirs. If anyone knows someone who has returned one, let me know...

checknme

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As a frequent business traveler, I have slept on the sleepnumber many times (they are in some hotels) but to be honest with you, I was less than impressed. I just felt like I was on just another bed. Adjusting the sleep number did little and it was a noisy affair as well (air pump is kind of loud) - not a deal breaker, but the product overall just did not meet my expectations. Hence, I have no plans on buying one.

I have slept on a 7" tempur foam for the past year and am not sure that is the way to go either. I am stumped as it pertains to sleep....

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a 4inch foam topper I bought years ago. It sits on top of my normal mattress and boxspring. It's A-MAYZ-ING! Get a foam bed..it's the best. After my wife got pregnant for the 3rd time I felt bad how uncomfortable she was at night so I did some research into a good bed. After buying and sleeping on the foam she had NO backpain from the pregnancy (3rd or 4th).

This was like 5 years ago and the foam is still in great shape. I hope to buy a complete foam bed one day when this one gives out (5 year warranty). The newer beds now have 20 year warranties I believe.

I have never slept on a sleepnumber bed so I can't comment on their air style bed vs foam.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ummm waterbed.

ya, waterbeds

i slept on a "floatation mattress" waterbed for 10 years.

that was before i got married

i had a two room studio with an open bedroom, so the waterbed was visible

when you laid in it.....it felt like ummmm

and every female that came by, wanted to lay in that bed!

:)

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The sleepnumber bed would be a consideration but when I go to bed I'd rather think of my wife opposed to Lindsay Wagner. And I'd be counting numbers instead of sheep. If you ask me their ad campaign is overdone.

For the record, I've had several decent beds incl. the old craftmatic. I'm totally cool with a good hard mattress, even a floor.

G'Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom