Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

sm trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

laskos

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hi all

If a business in the us has a SM trademark, can i register there domain name as i am from the uk. Will i be causing hassle for myself, and what is the full description for SM.

Hope someone can advise me ;)

Laskos

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by laskos
... and what is the full description for SM.
SM = Service Mark or Sadism & Masochism. You decide. :D

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anybody can put up a TM or SM symbol next to his product or service but only REGISTERED trademark holders can use the desgination of ®. From what I know, those with a registered trademark are in better position to fight; you might want to hear from an attorney though. :)

laskos

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the site i am looking at is a service mark of another company :confused: this is what it says

2. TRADEMARKS AND COPYRIGHTS
*****is a service mark of *****, Corp. *****. Other marks, names, and movie titles are the property of their respective owners. All images are copyrighted by their respective owners. Use of any copyrighted images is not authorized without the consent of the copyright holder.

anyone on here know if i should stay away as this site is very popular ;)

Laskos

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All it means is that they claim "X" to be a service mark of theirs.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Maybe it is not distinctive. Maybe their rights are limited to a particular geographical area. Maybe their rights are limited to a particular line of services.

The bottom line here is... do you think that whatever you plan on doing with your domain name would cause someone to reasonably confuse you with them? Is the mark so well known that *any* use might impact on the fame of the mark, or cause someone to think you are endorsed or authorized by the mark claimant?

laskos

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply heheheh. the name i am thinking of gets 2217 on overture, 975,000 on google but it has a sm mark on it. just wondering if it is worth the hassle hehehe.

is there anywhere where i can read about the SM mark?
thanks

Laskos

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom