Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

snapnames credits expiry date

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainweb

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
did anyone receive notice/reminders of when to use the snapnames credits/expiry date?

opie67

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I never got any notice regarding the credits expiry.
I think it's almost comical that a company can first take $550 of my hard earned cash and turn it into a credit. Then expire that credit without any notice.

Seems like robbery to me...

domainweb

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also lost my credits ($500) and asked them to restore the credits. They said they notified me several times throughout the year that these credits would expire, but I got no notices from them.

opie67

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I concur, they never notified me once.
I just can't believe that they are still in business, and a number of people on this website still use them. I guess Buyer Beware, they may change their business model overnight (again!).

I tried to get the transactions reversed through AMEX, but they said it was between our two parties (so much for consumer protection), even though it was clear that they violated our original contract.

The thing that really bothers me is Snapnames believe they are doing the honorable thing by offering "credits" for my hard currency, and that they provided ample time for these credits to be used in their new "auction" style process (with of course no guarantee of success that they will ever acquire any domain for you during this course of time, while there credits are still "active").

What I (and everyone else) originally purchased was EXCLUSIVE rights to a domain, if it ever expired, and snapnames could snipe it for me. If they were unsuccessful, my subscription could be transferred to another domain name. This subscription was valid for one year, at which point it expired.

Less than one month into my "owning" a number of subscriptions, I get the notice that snapnames is moving to an "auction" style format, and that my previous EXCLUSIVE domains are no longer valid, and the funds I sent them to own these exclusive domains are now only "credits" to their auction-style format. I can still bid on the domains that I previously exclusively owned, but others may now bid also.

I indicated to snapnames right then, that this service was not what I had purchased and requested a full refund. Snapnames refused as it was "thier policy" not to issue refunds, but they would kindly provide me with "credits" to use against future purchases and auctions.

I attempted to reason with them...that failed.
I attempted to reverse the charges with AMEX...that failed.

So, finally I relented and set-up my account to acquire domains through auction. No auctions were successful, and then one day I went into my account and noticed that my account was at $0. What happened to my credits?

I asked Snapnames through support...and they indicated that my credits had expired, and that they provided numerous emails indicating that my credits were about to expire. I told them...funny...I did not get those emails, and how is it that my cash expires?

If you read this entire post...thank-you for listening to me vent. As you can see this business transaction (or lack there of) bothers a straight-up business man...and I don't really like being ripped off...and don't really wan't to see anyone else in this business also get ripped off.

Jamie

andy21

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just login and found that my $350 credit was gone too. And I am sure that I didn't recieve any reminder.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just lost about $300 because of these thieves.

Their response:
All credits had a one year term of service. This would have ended on August 10, 2005 but we extended it to September 30, 2005. All unused credits expired on that date.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

It's ridiculous. I never got ANY reminder at all. If anyone starts a class action against them count me in. Sure it's just $300, but $300 is $300 and I'm sure out of all of the people that they conveniently "expired" credits for, they made a killing.

I personally will never use, or recommend their service to anyone. I was mad enough when I was told I couldn't get my money out, but it was turned into "credits." Then after many months of trying to catch names off the drop, POOL got them all (I still ended up with some through POOL, but apparently that's because POOL is better and actually catches drops.) I started backordering pure garbage just to spend my $300 credits, and snapnames didn't catch a single one. I couldn't even spend my credits because they never cought any drops I signed up for.

Their original letter does in fact state that credits expire, so I don't know if anything can be done. However, I'm sure they will lose several customers from the aftermath of this. If anyone wants to start a petition, I will sign.

They have a lot of extra money now because of the way they treat their customers. A single reminder email would have been nice, but instead they let us all burn without realising it.

M

mole

It's been a long time since the credits were issued when Snaps was forced to make this transition to auction style, after WLS was siderailed, or face the alternative of going bankrupt.

I've used up all of mine long ago :), so I'm not sure if there was an explicitly stated expiry timeframe to this.

Yes, a reminder prior to expiry would have been the proper thing to do for you slowpokes who did not use up your credits (despite the fact that acquiring just one drop name can easily clear the bank in a second.)

I'm sure there is an explanation to all this, but it sure ain't The Great Train Robbery.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
I'm sure there is an explanation to all this, but it sure ain't The Great Train Robbery.
There was nothing "Great" about it, and the explanation was simple, Snapnames made a decision to reneg on it's contracts, convert paid funds to "credits" and then expire those at some point, knowing it was just plain and simple theft. They made what they called a "business" decision at the time, meaning they would risk the threat of a suit by anyone who didn't like it rather than refund all of the fees. I guess they thought the worst that could happen was that they would have to pay some smaller amounts back if they lost, (no real big deal for them) and they would just have a few pissed off domainers. Nobody from ICANNt, the registries, registrars or the drop services gives a damn about Domainers anyway, so what's new?

M

mole

Stocdoctor said:
Snapnames made a decision to reneg on it's contracts, convert paid funds to "credits" and then expire those at some point, knowing it was just plain and simple theft. They made what they called a "business" decision at the time, meaning they would risk the threat of a suit by anyone who didn't like it rather than refund all of the fees.

What would you have Snaps do under the circumstances, declare bankrupcy and ditch everything back to their customers with "oops sorry, but I've had to use all your money that I took from you"?

I remember the time when Snaps had to lay off staff, it wasn't and isn't about theft, just plain and simple business practicalities to get out of the money-losing proposition they were in.

Face it, the original snaps model of first-come-first-serve, one fixed price of $49-60, was no longer working - they were catching fewer and fewer domains over time to rogue shell registrars running RRP connections. Then Pool came in and creamed Snaps.

The auctions credit extended to its early customers was a good thing. At the time, you didn't have weirdos like bonkers, vaxis, benfrankin and saggy doing the shark skits. They couldn't figure out Snaps for a while. So the conversion on the credits was GOOD. Snaps gave back their due.

Sure there are times when the registrars, when ICANN, when the registries, commit sins that not even a lifetime of finger nail tearing out torture will correct.

But to suggest that Snaps is practising plain theft is grossly misinformed, mean and slanderous. Snaps is one of those companies out there in domainland that still believe in the highest of ethics and principles. I've been with them since their first month of inception, nothing has changed where those ethics are concerned. Period.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
But to suggest that Snaps is practising plain theft is grossly misinformed, mean and slanderous. Snaps is one of those companies out there in domainland that still believe in the highest of ethics and principles. I've been with them since their first month of inception, nothing has changed where those ethics are concerned. Period.

Yeah right. Great ethics. They first promise an "exclusive" right to a name if they catch it and take money from Domainers under that "contract". Then when they start losing money or can't compete, they decide they don't have to "honor" the contracts. Instead of refunding the money cause they broke their contract (their word), they keep the money, and say you can have a credit. Then they say the credits will go away too. Poof!

If those are the "highest of ethics" then I'd be happy to take your money for new regs from you Mole, won't reg the names of course, but I'll give you a credit towards the possibility that I "might" reg some names for you down the line. Of course, if I don't reg them within a year, and spend the money on my new car, then consider your credits expired. No bad feelings right? Calling me a theif at that point would be "misinformed, mean and slanderous" right?

M

mole

A thief grabs your money and runs, not give you a fully cashable raincheck. Big difference.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
A thief grabs your money and runs, not give you a fully cashable raincheck. Big difference.

Mole, they gave a raincheck that bounced. It wasn't "fully cashable" either.

Also, You base your opinion on the idea that Snaps was "losing money". How do you know that they just weren't making enough? In any event, they are raking it in BIGTIME now (with the Netsol etc exclusives) aren't they? Don't you think they should pay back some of that money they kept and didn't provide anything now that they are rolling in the dough? Or is this all just suppose to be a one-way street? Sure, you got to use your "credit" on any number of other names, but what about the 1 name people who saw their 1 name go away and never got a refund or had any other name to apply the credit to? Where did those funds go? Another steak for the Snaps crew?

I'm game. Lets see if you can come up with a different word than "theft"? What do you call it when they take the money, cancel their side of the deal, and do NOT give a refund?

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stoc I would like to see all the contracts that You had with snap?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that this happened. I didn't like the old Snapnames - with credits - and thus never used it. I use them since they changed into the Pool model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom