Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Snapnames in 2002. 2D.net for $69.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I went back to year 2002 (http://web.archive.org/web/20021010003032/www.snapnames.com/corporate_clients.html) using archive.org wayback machine to find some info about snapnames.

Well....I was really suprised when I read this feedback by one of the customers:

""I was once using ExpireFish.com™ to catch my domains when I started to notice my names weren't being caught. I couldn't figure out how other people were picking these names up before me. Then I found SnapNames. At first I hated that it was $69 for ONE domain, but I decided to go for it and now I own a super-rare 2-digit domain name! Thank you SO much for registering 2D.NET!"
— Brandon Hann, CEO - 2D|Too Dimensional™ "

Can you imagine this? NL.net for $69! :eek:

Where have you been in 2002? Uhhhh.... :)

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
History has plenty of those "damn, wish it were me" stories... especially in our industry.... I remember when I first came aboard, owned a sweet a$$ social networking name and thought social networking was going nowhere and sold the name for pennies. Now they're eating lobster and I can barely afford a decent stake at a Boston restaurant ;) (or can I... muah,muah, muah)

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Must be nice to get a nice 2 character domain like that for so cheap.. :(

The old days were beautiful.... sad it wasn't that long ago... :disappointed:

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
in 5 years, you'll hear about deals that happened in early '07 and say "damn, I was around then, I could have made that deal."

so make some deals today and become the future storyteller.

Bravo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
in 5 years, you'll hear about deals that happened in early '07 and say "damn, I was around then, I could have made that deal."

so make some deals today and become the future storyteller.

Exactly! :yes:

kengreenwood

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You think that's sad? I started registering domains in the mid 90's... back when it was pretty much only register.com for registering domains and it was 50 bucks a domain per year. I only bought a few dozen domains (that's all I could afford back in those days)...but I could have had a hell of a lot of sweet names and probably could be retired by now...

kengreenwood

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i do have to thank snapnames for some of my better names over the years. like
pofa.com, xmaslist.com, beautycounter.com, monkeymusic.com, dealspot.com, and dozens more... all picked up in early 2000 with snapnames...

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i do have to thank snapnames for some of my better names over the years. like
pofa.com, xmaslist.com, beautycounter.com, monkeymusic.com, dealspot.com, and dozens more... all picked up in early 2000 with snapnames...

Decent names... send me a pm WITH PRICES.... I'm buying this week.:cool:

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
History has plenty of those "damn, wish it were me" stories... especially in our industry.... I remember when I first came aboard, owned a sweet a$$ social networking name and thought social networking was going nowhere and sold the name for pennies. Now they're eating lobster and I can barely afford a decent stake at a Boston restaurant ;) (or can I... muah,muah, muah)

myspace????? :lol:

kengreenwood

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Decent names... send me a pm WITH PRICES.... I'm buying this week.:cool:

Sorry James -

I sold all of them except pofa.com already. Recent sales were:

beautycounter.com
xmaslist.com
xmasdirect.com
monkeymusic.com
networkorange.com
nationalfunding.com
dealspot.com

Got plenty more good ones at http://www.lookatmy.com/domains

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
didnt snapnames used to be first come first serve? i got a few names with them before but most decent domains even back then were being taken on snapnames really fast!

myst.erio.us

BCH.US
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You know it's funny what you may find when you Google yourself! I just found this interesting topic on how I got 2D.NET for only $69. I had forgotten that I even wrote that review, but now that I see it again, I can remember how happy I was to have had that review on Snapnames' home page with about 3 other reviews for a couple of months. I kept thinking how much advertising I would get from it. I don't recall ever getting that much extra traffic, but then again, people who visited Snapnames weren't there looking for links and such.

Anyway, in response to the last poster, yes, Snapnames used to be first come first serve. I remember when I found them, I didn't like having to pay the $69 up front with no promise that the domain would even expire. In the beginning, your $69 credit would only be good for 1 year, but if the name you were chasing didn't drop, you could easily change it to another domain before the year was up. That was yet another reason I didn't like paying up front, because I lost a few $69 credits in those days chasing domains that eventually got renewed.

In fact, when I found 2D.NET, I had been looking for 1, 2 and 3 character domains for some time by browsing through drop lists, expiring lists, etc. (and there weren't that many at the time) only to find that all the "good" ones had little red "X"s on them at Snapnames. It was only possible to backorder .com, .net and .org and I remember thinking that I've missed the boat and that someone else with deeper pockets than me went out and backordered every single good domain that was deleting. I was starting to give up considering I only had about 2 months left on that credit when I discovered that 2D.NET was nearing it's expiration date. Fortunately, I discovered this before the domain had gotten into the "lists", so I beat out everyone relying on those searches.

I actually thought I didn't have a chance because like so many others, I figured the company would renew it at the last second. I was more worried that my credit would expire before the domain did! But then that day came and finally, I had it. :) Originally, I just wanted it for resale considering most random 2-character domains were selling for upwards of $5000 at the time. I assumed mine would go higher because at least 2D could translate into something. Instead, I've decided to use it as my flagship domain for my hosting business. It only took me 6 years to figure out how to use it! ;)

I almost lost it too when I had it registered at RegisterFly.com where I had like 30 other domains. I remember the day I lost Metallica.tv because (as they said) they still hadn't gotten the registrations for .tv domains perfected since they were still so new. They took my money and never renewed it in my name. It wasn't long after that when I started hearing the stories from other people and how they lost domains, so I dropped RegisterFly forever and never looked back.

Well, I'll get off my soapbox now, but I thought I'd share that story with you guys since my name and domain made it on to this site!

simon johnson

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah I used to love that! First in best dressed.... sad really. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom