Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

SnapNames minimum price now back to $60

Status
Not open for further replies.

itp

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It looks like the days of $9, $29, and $40 domains are over now. I saw lately where SnapNames is no longer selling any domains at that price. No word on if this $60 only is temporary or permanent.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it was going on for sometime now

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Perhaps lame, but not as lame as the stage II sealed auction that Pool.com came up with a while back, I'd like to meet the guy that dreamed up that one!

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Snapnames entered traffic-testing business using their own registrars for about 2 years ago... (obviously for domains which were not backordered with them). About 4 months ago they also started so-called public auctions for these domains. It seems they finally decided that it makes little or no sense for them to sell those domains, that is why they changed entering price from $9 to $60. Indeed, their customers most likely purchased everything more-or-less reasonable for $9. I myself purchased some domains at public auctions and this small investment is already returned through parking income.
Most likely it is impossible to run traffic-tasting and auction-sales business for the same set of domains at the same time, and snapnames selected traffic-testing.
At this time, I wouldn't enter any public auction for $60 simply because those domains are not worth $60 for me (I would better place $60 backorders for the domains that I see $60+ value in, before the drop, and would participate in private auctions instead).
However, I see that there some members ARE indeed buying at those $60 public auctions now - therefore, they send a sign to snapnames that their pricing strategy is OK.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
60 it is.. and to stay it looks.. very bad..

erdinc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think this is a mistake on snapnames' part and a good chance for domainers to catch some good names for registration fee.

If you run a grocerery you cannot say I'm selling champagne because the profit higher and I'm not selling coke because it is cheap. This type of snobbism is going to hurt you on the long run.

I'm checking right now my registration history at snapnames. From early September to late November 2006, this is about three months, I have spend 553 USD. On the other hand the first 12 domains I bought were all $9 domains. In fact during September I bought 13 domains in total. This is 12 $9 domains and one $29 domain. In total in September I paid $137. I didn't know anything about domaining at the time. The good thing was that I have learned a lot from this experience. I have learned about registrars, 60 day waiting period and I learned what domain pushing is, how domains expire and so on. Without a doubt I made a very bad start registering 12 silly names.

There is a high chance I would never become a domainer if it hadn't been those 12 dummy $9 domains I bought first at snapnames.

I think there are a good number of domains that are being missed by the domain professionals. I bought a few good domains for under $60. This new price change means more good domains will return to the main pool.

gerardo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hate new fixed 60$ price for first bid on SnapNames public auctions; I used to buy names from SN from unique backorder, private auction after backorder and also from public auctions and sometimes I have had really good experiences with 9$ boughts and bad ones with high private auctions after backorders.

The fact is that there are some names that may worth 9$ or $29 but never $60. There's also a highest market in names that no one see because even with the most accurated monitoring software you'll allways miss some names that somebody just randomly discover.

I don't know what SN will do in the future, I'm sure that everything will depend on sales; if they earn much money with this new system they'll keep it. The fact is that now I spend less money than what I used to.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Is this some time warp or something? For the longest time I used Snapnames, the base (entry) fee has been $60.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom