Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Snapnames using Dotster connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just won a name through snapnames, and checked the whois to see which registrar was being used and believe SN is using Dotster's connections. The registrar is newdentity.com.

Is Dotster abandoning Namewinner?

cayars

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think they use multiple registers to have a better chance at grabbing the domain.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cayars said:
I could be wrong, but I think they use multiple registers to have a better chance at grabbing the domain.

and You figured it out yourself?

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They should use different registrars for better odds, but their own drop catching service (namewinner.com) should be the one to auction names, not a competing company.

It seems like a conflict of interest...

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i've had many names caught via snapnames which were managed/onboard of the dotster system/api.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you actually have control of the domain?
Does your name appear in the whois?

dmyre said:
I just won a name through snapnames, and checked the whois to see which registrar was being used and believe SN is using Dotster's connections. The registrar is newdentity.com.

Is Dotster abandoning Namewinner?

What you are saying is a different thing.

Many registrars use the registerapi(I think that is the name) control panel.
Dotster uses it as well.

This doesn't mean that all companies using this api belong to or work for namewinner.

mike031 said:
i've had many names caught via snapnames which were managed/onboard of the dotster system/api.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dvdrip said:
...Many registrars use the registerapi(I think that is the name) control panel. Dotster uses it as well.

This doesn't mean that all companies using this api belong to or work for namewinner.

To answer your questions, the whois does reflect my name, and I do have access to it. The control panel is the exact same as Dotster's.

Additionally, I checked the whois for registerapi.com, which is owned by Dotster. There are many people that use them, but they are resellers for Dotster.

I just find it odd that Dotster chooses to support another dropcatcher, rather than namewinner...

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are a lot of independent registrars using this api.
I am not talking about resellers.

What is the address you use to manage the domain?

dmyre said:
To answer your questions, the whois does reflect my name, and I do have access to it. The control panel is the exact same as Dotster's.

Additionally, I checked the whois for registerapi.com, which is owned by Dotster. There are many people that use them, but they are resellers for Dotster.

I just find it odd that Dotster chooses to support another dropcatcher, rather than namewinner...

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The url is mydomain.com.

Mydomain.com > NamesDirect.com

NamesDirect.com's mailing address is 1 PO Box away from Dotster's:

Dotster.com
PO Box 821066

NamesDirect.com
PO Box 821067

-------

Do you have any examples of registrars that aren't associated with Dotster? I may be wrong, but I still think the API is directly associated with Dotster...

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the api is indeed associated with dotster. you can login using your login and pass from mydomain.com or any other registrar/reseller using their system at dotster and vice versa.

first thing i do when i have names snapped up from one of this resellers is push it to my main dotster account, makes things a little easier.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You lost me.
You wrote that "The registrar is newdentity.com".
Now you write "Mydomain.com > NamesDirect.com".
Which one is the registrar?

What does whois say and what does snapnames say in their email or in "registration hostory"?

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware Dotster own the RegisterAPI interface. MyDomain may have licensed this from Dotster, but I can't seem to find MyDomain in the ICANN Accredited lists, so presumably they don't have their own connection to the registries?? (i.e. I think they're a reseller..)

Wouldn't surprise me if they abandon NameWeener - it's been dying a slow death for a couple of years now..

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dvdrip said:
You lost me.
You wrote that "The registrar is newdentity.com".
Now you write "Mydomain.com > NamesDirect.com".
Which one is the registrar?

What does whois say and what does snapnames say in their email or in "registration hostory"?

I know it's confusing, that's why I'm so curious.

Whois.sc shows UNIVERSAL REGISTRATION SERVICES, INC. as the ICANN Registrar, which links to newdentity.com. The email that I received from Snapnames.com, provides me with account information for mydomain.com.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dotster drops Namewinner either. They haven't caught anything for me in quite a while.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beachie said:
Wouldn't surprise me if they abandon NameWeener - it's been dying a slow death for a couple of years now..
AFAIK namewinner IS owned dotster....
NW also works with Galcomm which also works with...etc....
get the pic?
:-#:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom