Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

So I just bought 2 domains...I'm new though, so what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twan

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just bought two domains at reg fee and I think if I sit on them they could be worth something.

AJStyles.net
AJ Styles is a popular pro wrestler who's popularity is growing by the day. At the moment, he gets 13,000 searches per month on the big 3 combined. However, in maybe 5 or so years, I can see that being 200,000 searches per month. I'll have the 2nd best possible aj styles domain, so I thought if the pro wrestler goes big, I'll get paid some cash!

ROHtickets.com
ROH is a growing wrestling company that just debuted on Pay-Per-View August 1st. They're small, and draw maybe 800 fans per show. However, everyone new and old that watches ROH claims its better than WWE (which is so damn popular). The company will be spreading in the next few years (they got their first show in Japan like next week!) and I think that after time, people will start Googling for ROH tickets. I got the best domain for it, and especially since it's a domain where everyone who goes there is looking to buy a product, it could be worth something. And if ROH wants the domain, maybe they could give me some big cash for it.

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I suggest you do a search on this site for the term "cybersquatting"

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, as a newbie, here is the best advice you will get here...

Use the search box and in legals. type in "tradmark" and read for a week, then type in "tm" and read teh posts you may have missed. And in this case, then type in "celebs" and read posts right up this alley.

The 2 domains you have registered are infringing on TMs.

With AJ, there are 2 ways to handle it, 1- as a true fansite. This means you don't make a penny from the site. This does not mean you don't make a profit, it means zero revenue. Fansites are protected if done properly. 2- looking for the payoff from the domain - this will be viewed cybersqatting. If challenged, they will prove you are attempting to profit off of his TM. Juding by your post, it seems you are headed down path #2. Don't worry, we all have done it when we started. Just be careful, there can be severe penalties associated with squatting.

As far as ROHtickets, ROH (Ring of Honor) is a TM. Attempting to profit for a TM is bad fatih usage. If challenged, you will more than likely lose the domai.

Like I said, we have all taken that path, but learn now and save yourself time, money and headaches.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Twan, jazzpetals and DNQuest are correct. There are major trademark issues with these domains which would make them a high risk and worthless to any domain investor.

jetblue

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
True, True and True. Twan - you can sit on them, but it's not like sitting on 'gold'. What is the current value of these domains? Try listing them on sedo and see what kind of response you get. Better yet, try listing them on dnforum with an offer price of say $300. This way you can guage if they are domains worth sitting on.

BinderGang

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless your a fan of the wrestler, the first domain was a waste. I'm a wrestling fan too. If you look around, domains mean little to nothing to the pro wrestling industry. All they care about is their one site for their promotion and that's it.

Most wrestler's don't have their own website. They're like most bands today, they use a MySpace as their website.

I don't think you have to worry about losing them, as neither AJ Styles or ROH will care enough to pursue it. But, don't expect to make any money, as neither care enough to pay for them either.

As for traffic, if ROH gets big, than maybe the ticket site will generate traffic. As for the AJ Styles site, wrestling fans go online and search for wrestling news sites. Most do not go to an individual wrestler's site unless it is owned by the wrestler and they leave daily commentary for their fans to read.

(PS. This is coming from not only from someone on a domain board, but from someone whose one of those 800 fans in attendance whenever they come to Manhattan or Long Island).

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True, True and True. Twan - you can sit on them, but it's not like sitting on 'gold'. What is the current value of these domains? Try listing them on sedo and see what kind of response you get. Better yet, try listing them on dnforum with an offer price of say $300. This way you can guage if they are domains worth sitting on.

You do realize that you are encouraging "bad faith"?

ClickEarn

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your law suits

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom