Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

So is .WS Gonna be Big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't think so...

I see amazing keywords drop everyday in this ext.

Lots available to reg right now

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, but only if you live in Western Samoa

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Recently got an $1K offer for 北京.ws (Beijing in Chinese). Turned it down.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Recently got an $1K offer for 北京.ws (Beijing in Chinese). Turned it down.
Very respectable offer for a .ws but also undestand why you may have turned it down...capital of the most populated nation. Do you know the source (country) the offer came from?

I just recently started exploring IDN and regged 京戏.net (Beijing Opera). Having lots of fun exploring IDN and other extensions.

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very respectable offer for a .ws but also undestand why you may have turned it down...capital of the most populated nation. Do you know the source (country) the offer came from?

I just recently started exploring IDN and regged 京戏.net (Beijing Opera). Having lots of fun exploring IDN and other extensions.

Nice!

I can't disclose the location of the person who made the offer, I can say he is a major domain investor though.

If you check the top Chinese terms in .ws, they are all gone already!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice!

I can't disclose the location of the person who made the offer, I can say he is a major domain investor though.

If you check the top Chinese terms in .ws, they are all gone already!
Perhaps you can enlighten us on the trends elsewhere. Just not much in demand here.

Is it simply that there are so many (2.5 billion) Chinese that they are willing to reg just about any extension to get the domain name they want or is it not that simple.

Also, what do you see as the overall top extensions preferred by the Chinese?

Thanks for the input.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is surely the next big thing..just like .mobi! my dude.ws and marijuana.ws are worth millions already, but I might sell for like 10k :eek:k:

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you can enlighten us on the trends elsewhere. Just not much in demand here.

Is it simply that there are so many (2.5 billion) Chinese that they are willing to reg just about any extension to get the domain name they want or is it not that simple.

Let's look at it this way:

北京.cn (impossible to register, owned by the government)
北京.com (impossible to register, on a special reserve list)
北京.net (owned by someone who will probably sell only for a million)
北京.tv (owned by a big domainer who has made it known it is not for sale)

What choice do you have? Not much choice there.

Keep in mind that you can't just go and register Chinese characters in any extension, so that limits the list much more than that of English domains.

If you look on the IDN forum, you'll see that Shanghai 上海.ws is on sale right now...

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Beijing.cn (impossible to register, owned by the government)
Beijing.com (impossible to register, on a special reserve list)
Beijing.net (owned by someone who will probably sell only for a million)
Beijing.tv (owned by a big domainer who has made it known it is not for sale)
So I guess it does boil down to what is available. I would assume you are talking about both the English spelling and the Chinese characters.

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I guess it does boil down to what is available. I would assume you are talking about both the English spelling and the Chinese characters.

I would assume both English and Chinese are taken, but I was talking about the Chinese character versions, as those are the ones to get for the Chinese market.

That said, I picked up 北京.ws on a forum sale for cheap, as I believe it is worth much more, and the recent offer confirms it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would assume both English and Chinese are taken, but I was talking about the Chinese character versions, as those are the ones to get for the Chinese market.
I sincerely thank you for your insight. I have just begun to explore the Chinese IDN market and think I have a pretty good start. Always willing to learn and learn more as I go along.

IDNebook.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

What choice do you have? Not much choice there.

Keep in mind that you can't just go and register Chinese characters in any extension, so that limits the list much more than that of English domains.

Thats why i recently had 花.ws Flowers.ws on the Sale Block for 25k testing the waters. But due to some good advice i recieved i pulled the domain because in a sense it's priceless and should be used to run a Flower Business on. So i took the advice and pulled it off the market and have it in the vault as we gather the info needed to get business up and running.

Check out the Ovt.

Japanese OVT. 170,983

Taiwan OVT. 135,100

Hong Kong OVT. 24,711

Korean OVT. 1,885

United States OVT. 1,398

French OVT. 5

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah but ovt searches not ovt with ext for a .ws

IDNebook.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah but ovt searches not ovt with ext for a .ws

Not really sure what you point is , we are going to run a business on the domain , BRAND IT im just showing you how popular a term it is. There are how many billion people in china and then we can also tap japan in the same sentence.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I still have an awful lot to learn for IDN and so far really enjoying it. By the way, 2.5 billion people in China. That is 10 times the US population. That is a market that has long been ignored.

IDN is just another form of domains and still in the .com and .net extension. Fascinating. I think I may have about 25 now, all Chinese.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.ws has been around for years. To me it looks like the ext is more or less dead. Unless you've got some stats to demonstrate the number of registrations is growing or sites being developed. Some TLDs have more appeal in certain countries (like .nu with Dutch or Swedish people).

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I still have an awful lot to learn for IDN and so far really enjoying it. By the way, 2.5 billion people in China. That is 10 times the US population. That is a market that has long been ignored.

IDN is just another form of domains and still in the .com and .net extension. Fascinating. I think I may have about 25 now, all Chinese.

where did you get the population fig? China should have 1.3 billion people not 2.5 billion, but still a lot.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
where did you get the population fig? China should have 1.3 billion people not 2.5 billion, but still a lot.
You are 100% correct. I meant to put 1.5 billion (est) and then do the math from there...erase, erase. :Going to sit in the corner:

Yup, still alot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom