Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

so many new extensions its ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainstrike

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I feel like there are a million extensions these days... so many of them being worthless.... but is anyone worried about the value of .com,org, net etc with all of these? I feel like basic economics says since all of these are now available, the big daddies (.com,net,org) will have no choice but to decline in value. I keep hearing everyone say that it will instead rise in price, but wheres the proof ? Even if these millions of new extensions aren't popular at all, there are just so many new things available... i feel like everyone is too optimistic... any other opinions ? Just some thoughts ! thanks

Domain Days 2024

(_Y_)Man

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the smaller extensions will never get as big as .com, .net, .org, etc those are global and will always grow in value. If any extension can be a threat to break the top 4-5 ext. its .EU, that can get pretty big.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.com names will only be worth more in the future when everyone realizes 99% of the newer TLD's are crap.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, let's see

hotel.com
hotel.net
hotel.org
hotel.info
hotel.de
hotel.in
hotel.jp

etc.....

We are looking a global market. You have to stretch your imagination some here and think even if all the domains listed above were taken and developed they could all be covering different hotel info, such as info on hotels, reviews of hotels, hotels in particular regions, cheap or expensive hotels, etc.. The possibilities are endless. Now, on the dilution topic. If my .com is hotel.com offering the cheapest hotels and 17 other websites offer the same thing with the same key word "hotel" with different extentions could they all be successful? 100% YES!! because domains operate on a global level. Your customer is 1 of a billion and he/she is in Asia, Europe, US, etc.. You have to start think outside your local stores, your local communities. Think of a .com as a local store for a moment, can another store open next to Walmart and survive, sure, could 2 or 3 or 4 more? Sure, if the population and diversity of tastes exsist. As a matter of fact ONE Single Walmart could not handle the population of the City of NY, that's just one city. Another point to consider, someone could buy all hotels.*** and point them all to the same website. There is plenty of room for everyone to join the party and best websites will recieve the most traffic, right now it's simply that .com is king but I do believe in the future you will see other tld's with better development taking the crown. You'll see, we live in a exciting times jump on board and don't jump off because the ride is just beginning. Cheers.

Acro

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domainstrike said:
I feel like there are a million extensions these days... so many of them being worthless.... but is anyone worried about the value of .com,org, net etc with all of these? I feel like basic economics says since all of these are now available, the big daddies (.com,net,org) will have no choice but to decline in value. I keep hearing everyone say that it will instead rise in price, but wheres the proof ? Even if these millions of new extensions aren't popular at all, there are just so many new things available... i feel like everyone is too optimistic... any other opinions ? Just some thoughts ! thanks
I could not agree more with you.
Fortunately I don't think the value of established TLDs like .com or .net will really be affected. The bad thing is that some of the new TLDs being rolled up are causing confusion among the less savvy Internet users.
The average John Duh on the street is often not too familiar with anything else than .com.
A domain name has a lot to do with the corporate image a business is trying to convey. In terms of image mycompany.com commands much more respect than mycompany.crap or mycompany.hype.
So I don't think we have a lot to fear from the new TLDs. Of course some exts like .coop or .mobi should not even exist (IMO) but I don't think they will ever become popular.
After all end users rule :hungry:

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the example hotels.com, there are two independant components to the brand. Obviously the hotels component, but also the dotcom component. The .com component is so firmly established worldwide that anyone opening hotels.us or hotels.name, etc. will likely loose a good portion of their visitors to hotels.com.
Hotels.com will get free traffic, traffic they advertise for and traffic someone else has advertised for. Hotels.us will get zero free traffic, zero traffic that someone else has advertised for and only a portion of the traffic that they advertised for.
Hotels.coms customer acquisition cost will be tremendously lower than the aqcuisition cost of hotels.us. By this example, Hotels.com could actually be worth quite a bit more because of the existence of Hotels.us, etc.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First of all, there are 2 (two) kinds of TLDs (so-called "extensions"): the generic ones (gTLDs) and the country codes (ccTLDs). And they are of very different nature, or at least supposed to be so. The latter (ccTLD) is primarily for local use in specific countries, and have been around for a LOOOONG time. But due to some marketing gimmicks, more and more (like .tv, .la, etc.) are (mis)taken as generic domains.

Yes, there are also some sponsored gTLDs (such as .pro, .museum), but most individuals and businesses are still restricted to non-sponsored ones, e.g. .com, .net, .org, .info .biz, and .name. Time has proven that the grandfathers (CNO) remain relatively more valuable because of brand recognition over the years. A LOT of people TODAY are still unfamiliar with .biz or .info, but even your grandma knows about .com.

ChrisJP

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This would probably be less of a problem if registrars stopped marketing ccTLD's as something other than their country code. For example idotz.net, they're marketing .vc to mean "very cool", .la to mean "Los Angeles". and .tv as "Television" probably the biggest one.
But as for the original question I don't think the value of .com net and org will depreciate or rise in price, I think they will stay the same for another couple of years at least.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The Internet is one of the biggest technological advances of our lifetime. It is really only about 10 years old as far as practical use is concerned.

It was/is the dotcom revolution. United States traffic has always been the type of traffic that is valued......people are more inclined to spend money.

If you asked 100 random people on the street to tell you which extention does not exist....info, .us, or .biz, I would bet that maybe one of two of them would be able to tell you that this is a trick question (add any other extention..and IDN's).

When your argument is based on years and years in the future (value of other extentions and mass appeal), then there will always be a way to defend it, just as you couldn't argue against tech companies with no earnings during the Internet Stock Bubble (New Economy...remember?). The dust will settle, there will be a few exceptions to the rule, but the Freight Train that is DOTCOM will continue to roll.

Sometimes you can think too far outside of the box....the Gold Mine is right under your noses in Dotcom. If you are from the United States and know the nuances of this culture then I can't see how you wouldn't use it to your advantage and make your fortune here. You better have the best generics in those other extentions or you could be in big trouble when it's time to renew.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For this subject you also have to factor in the increasing use of search engines. I would think this is likely to diminish the "asset" vaue of both names and extensions.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
It was/is the dotcom revolution. United States traffic has always been the type of traffic that is valued......people are more inclined to spend money.

This is just so incorrect. I'm an American living & working in Tokyo. The company I work for is partnered with some of Japan's biggest internet related companies. From meetings I find out exactly the market is rapidly expanding. Also from experience I know most of us Americans have absolutely no real stats on the internet market in Japan. I do straight from the big guys.

Truth said most dot coms in English can't do well internationally. It's a big matter of having multilingual support that makes conversions internationally. Japan spends more on luxury items than the US.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Japan spends more on luxury items than the US.

With less than half the population and a far smaller GDP? Without looking up stats I'm going to guess that you're not talking about total dollars.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There's a statistic over here that Japan buys between 25% to 30% of the world's luxury brand goods.
That actually came from overseas data but the companies here show us where money is being spent on the internet. These figures are not just being collected sometimes as online spending & credit transactions because many people do use COD a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom