Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

So what's wrong with DNForum moderation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm a bit out of sync, but it seems that the mob is running DNForum instead of some sensible minds lately.

From my casual observation, this may be the result of:

a) the lack of respect for voluntary moderators (which I'm sorry to say, action has to be coming from Adam himself to revert it), and

b) an ultra "Laissez-faire" policy of moderation which has seriously hurt the "rule of law".

For a small circle of closely knit and respectable businessmen, the latter, anything goes forum management style may work. But DNForum is much bigger than that, and many quiet lurkers (who could well be your core clients) may have already been offended by those active bullying few who think they are running DNForum.

Let me cite 2 examples here:

- http://www.dnforum.com/f496/107-dom...t-ztom-net-streamsrubs-com-thread-384574.html

This guy (GUA) CLEARLY and knowingly post his "above $100" sales in the "$100 and under" section, but no action was taken.

- http://www.dnforum.com/f254/obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize-9-thread-390136.html#post1799028

This REPORTED post CLEARLY requires action. I couldn't believe any sensible moderator would think otherwise and let DNForum goes down like one of those cheap forums where kids paste a dozen pictures in a single post.

So my question is, what's wrong with DNForum moderation?

Upvote 0

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm a bit out of sync, but it seems that the mob is running DNForum instead of some sensible minds lately.

a) the lack of respect for voluntary moderators (which I'm sorry to say, action has to be coming from Adam himself to revert it), and

b) an ultra "Laissez-faire" policy of moderation which has seriously hurt the "rule of law".

For a small circle of closely knit and respectable businessmen, the latter, anything goes forum management style may work. But DNForum is much bigger than that, and many quiet lurkers (who could well be your core clients) may have already been offended by those active bullying few who think they are running DNForum.

- http://www.dnforum.com/f496/107-dom...t-ztom-net-streamsrubs-com-thread-384574.html

This guy (GUA) CLEARLY and knowingly post his "above $100" sales in the "$100 and under" section, but no action was taken.

- http://www.dnforum.com/f254/obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize-9-thread-390136.html#post1799028

This REPORTED post CLEARLY requires action. I couldn't believe any sensible moderator would think otherwise and let DNForum goes down like one of those cheap forums where kids paste a dozen pictures in a single post.

well, im not quite sure why you're getting your knickers in a twist
theres far worse examples than what you're stating

especially the sales thread. whats with the ongoing commentary in his sales thread?
heres the rules for that section: http://www.dnforum.com/f496/rules-forum-please-read-before-posting-thread-370100.html

actually YOU are the one breaking the rules invading his sales threads:rolleyes:
so much so that you made multiple posts , now you are bringing it into a new thread too
mods will move into another section when they see or whatever. mistakes are made, flag it if you have to

i agree some threads are ridiculous, the idn and mobi one is a good example but historically mods have always been very picky about what they interefere with. most people enjoy a good popcorn fest, me included ;), but actually interefering with sales threads is prob the most annoying, ironically

nb: i will say one thing though, you are right that moderation seems to have gone downhill. too may are being left to their own devices. personally sales threads etc can be tidied by them and rearranged couple times a day, if people make a mistake, but really bad insults and threats etc need to be taken very seriously, and the mods dont seem on the ball like they used to be............

Last edited:

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mods will move into another section when they see or whatever. mistakes are made, flag it if you have to
How do you know that I have not?

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We need more Canadian mods lol :idunno:

I approached Adam to throw my name into that fray as a Canadian moderator. Would love the opportunity. I have never had a problem with any moderator other than I find them quite unfriendly at times. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles and don't sweat the small stuff. After all, we are all prone to missing things, having bad days and making mistakes. I speak for myself at least. :smilewinkgrin:

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just seems to be less moderators around (or at least less moderation being done) nowadays, meaning that "anything goes"

Despite promises by DNF staff a couple of months ago, the flame wars have just been growing in frequency.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Need more civility.
-----(including me)
Abolish controversial/political section
-----(honestly, this is being overused and abused. I see members solely in these type threads and have NEVER seen some of them actively buying or selling on DNF.)
Get back to the business of domaining
-----(get back to the core purpose of this forum)
SHOULD BE OKAY to ask questions in a sales thread.
-----(we have recently seen some threads closed due to non-ownership or fraud thanks to questions being asked. Asking questions is okay regarding a sale but SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED to post questions or comments in an Auction thread)
ENFORCE A TIME LIMIT
-----(I am still seeing threads that are months old being kicked back up by the OP. Put a lock on a selling/buying/wanted thread after a specified time limit)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
We need biggedon back as a mod! :D

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We need biggedon back as a mod! :D
I agree Theo, but I stuck my nose in too far with this and have already apologised to Adam for it, and it's old history now. I guess when you own the forum, you can decide for yourself.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

hmmm....

when i was mod, there were complaints about too much moderation.

and now...

Just seems to be less moderators around (or at least less moderation being done) nowadays, meaning that "anything goes"

Despite promises by DNF staff a couple of months ago, the flame wars have just been growing in frequency.

i see it as "pacification" for the outspoken minority

they were mad about getting their threads closed, threads moved or posts deleted, so they rose up in anger.

when the "silent majority" gets tired and start speaking up, then they may get a pacifier too. :)

imo...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don, you know as I do, that there's never a happy medium.

Dale,

when we stop caring about "what this forum is", or "what this forum could be", or "how it should be moderated", etc., etc., blah blah....then we will be happy. :)

at that point, we will have lost our "emotional attachment" to what it was in the past, what it is now and what it will, could, or won't become in the future.

imo...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We need more Canadian mods lol :idunno:
Well, DNForum definitely needs more moderators. Just take a look at any other forum of similar size, and you can tell there should *at least* be 5 - 6 MORE mods on the roster, esp. when they are VOLUNTARY (vs. PAID).

Like I wrote to Chuck earlier, as a former DNForum insider (who also owes Adam a favour or two), I have tried my best to refrain from publicly posting any even slightly harsh criticism. But this is really frustrating.

Take the sales thread for example. I browse the "$100 and under" section regularly. (I usually buy low and sell high. Surprise!) And that unrepentant abuser took the "liberty" to interpret rules to his favour, and wasted the time of potential buyers incl. myself. If DNForum cannot enforce even that simple rule of posting in the right section (esp. in advertising/sales), how on earth could it maintain its industrial leading place?

The picture posting farce in the political section is even more annoying. It seems that DNForum is abandoning and not just quarantining that area. If that is the case, perhaps it's better to officially shut it down, and disallow any political or religious discussion once and for all. And up to this minute, that childish post still shows 20 pics in a row, and the abuser is apparently happy with "winning the battle". It's a SHAME, not really for the childish abuser, but for DNForum, which allows that, and sends a VERY wrong signal to its members, and worse still, its potential members (clients).

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this is a process of evolution. Some bad decisions and some good decisions will be made. For me there's no "emotional attachment'. Just common sense. Again, this will be determined by the person who runs this forum.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I enjoy DNForum because it isn't over-moderated, as so many other domain and webmaster forums seem to be. Over at WW, posts are deleted that are over critical of Google, Microsoft, etc... There are some pretty extreme forms of censorship out there in the forum world.

elius

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The political/controversial section is simply a continuing flame war between right and left wing Americans. It's pretty annonying to see every post go offtopic and in abuse.

I thought about reporting posts but the fact that this flame war is weeks if not months old made me conclude that moderation doesn'r really care about the whole no abuse/politeness part of the general and section specific rules.

Too bad I paid for this forum to be honest. It seems to me that enforcing the rules of the forum is something you should expect for your money but apperently I'm in the wrong forum.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
We need aZooZa back as a mod :D

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
when i was mod, there were complaints about too much moderation.
It's a pity that there are bullies who think they are above the law, yes, right here on DNForum.

Again, this will be determined by the person who runs this forum.
Very true. It's Adam's call, as always.

Many people have made the mistake of mistaking the loud minority as majority, and don't even realize that the real but silent majority usually vote with their feet.

And if I'm allowed to render my longitudinal observation here, Adam is sometimes a bit too fast-paced, to the extent that he couldn't even bear with a mildly longer timeframe for results to kick in. Most might have noticed that DNForum actually has a fairly high turnover rate of administrators and/or moderators, which is not exactly a healthy sign. Perhaps it's a good starting point to build a solid team AND STAND BEHIND THEM for an extended period of time (not just 3, 6 or 9 months).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators