Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sold how? When? Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing more situations (twice in last 24 hours) where sellers post a name for sale (at a set price) saying either post sold or pm me. Then the first person to post sold is told "sorry that name was sold via pm and before your post" and there is some kindof undocumented timestamp excuse. Have recently seen this with newbies. Seems to me the way we used to do a transaction was to post sold in the thread and then send a pm, or wait for the acknowledment in the thread. The problem with this situation is that a seller can (without proof) just ignore a post of sold for some time and entertain higher offers (shop the offer) via pms here or at other forums. I think this problem (non-documentation and timestamp differences) was one of the reasons this forum went to a "No multi-forum auctions" rule. It appears that a buyer seeing the "post or pm" option in any sale thread can now step over the first buyer by just sending the seller a pm saying "I'll pay you more".

I'd suggest a rule that a seller offering a set price for a name honor the first sold post so the transaction is transparent.
Doc

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forum fixed price sales are different than auctions. You can list here, and sell anywhere else, there's nothing wrong with that. Just like if you see a car for sale in the paper, you can call up, and it could be sold, even if your the first caller from that ad. That doesn't mean you should get the car. Once an auction is listed, however, it must be sold to the winner.

It would be nice if sellers updated their threads, so it doesn't look like the name is still available.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have cases where I am PM'd offers from Gold members who can't post in the platinum forums. I don't know if this still the case as it has been awhile about non platinum members posting in the sales thread but I would guess this is part of the reason people pm instead of post. Some individuals prefer anominimity and pm rather than post as well.

This is not to say that some people aren't playing the field. I am only adding to the possible reasons a domain may be sold outside the thread.

It still is curtious for members to update these sales in their posts to avoid hard feelings and the looks of impropriety (bid baiting).......................................

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good points Giant and think. Couple questions and comments.

*Are the non-platinum members not allowed to post sold in a sales thread?
*It appears that a first post of sold doesn't mean anything anymore, should I now just post "sold unless you get a better offer"?
*Shouldn't a fixed price offer go to the first buyer accepting that price and how do we verify that if pms and multiple forums are used to post fixed price sales?
*How is a multi-forum fixed price sale different from a multi-forum auction if the first in buyer can be stepped over to take a higher bid anywhere by pm?

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't count the number of times I've had people email me wanting certain names or PM and wish to remain an anonymous buyer. I've actually had the "anonymous buyer" ask me to remove the domain from the sales thread on occasions.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stock:
Silver, gold, platinum, and exclusive can all reply in sales threads. Yes, first post of "sold" still matters, but if the seller says sorry it's already sold, what's the big deal? Why would he lie. It was probably sold via PM, or he sold it somewhere else. Totally legit.

M

mole

Maybe everyone selling domains in the fixed price forum should put:-

WHILE STOCKS LAST.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Maybe everyone selling domains in the fixed price forum should put:-

WHILE STOCKS LAST.
:-D

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
Stock:
Silver, gold, platinum, and exclusive can all reply in sales threads. Yes, first post of "sold" still matters, but if the seller says sorry it's already sold, what's the big deal? Why would he lie. It was probably sold via PM, or he sold it somewhere else. Totally legit.

Thanks for the info again Giant. This issue isn't that big of a deal. I'll let it go in a minute anyway.

The only reasons that a seller would tell you the name is already sold and not honor a first post is either he hasn't maintained his sales thread with a "name sold" post, (inconsiderate) or he has received a higher offer later and choose to sell at the higher price rather than honoring his "fixed" price (no integrity).

What gets suspicous is when a buyer puts in the first sold and it takes a long time (a day) for the seller to respond, and then he says "oh I sold that name somewhere else or by private message within a few minutes of offering the name". This situation binds a buyer to his word of an offer to buy at the set price and ties up his resources but allows the seller to ignore his side of the deal and possibly shop the offer. An offer to sell at a set price on this forum should be just as binding as a first post to buy at that price.

Frankly I just don't like the inconsideration or lack of integrity that is exhibited here sometimes and seems to be more of a trend on the net by these anonymous freakin kids. I hope this name game gets more transparent soon. I'm gonna be 53 in May so everyone under 40 is a freakin kid as far as I'm concerned. :-D Don't get me wrong, I love kids. We have 7 of the freakin things ourselves.

Fortunately most members here are ethical and do their best to maintain their threads. (I love you guys) Just let these posts here serve as a commentary about some abusive trends I see lately, and to let those abusive types know that some of us older members here ain't idgits.

By the way, I was asked via pm to post this subject (by one of those freakin kids who lost a deal) and said I would bring it up. OK I feel better.
Doc

skylight

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i guess stocdoctor is referring to my recent sale offer in the fixed price thread. i have already did the explanation in that thread.

Although my status with dnforum is newbie but that doesnt mean that i am a newbie but of cause i m not a veteran either. I have been in domaining for more than a year. I do understand the ethics.

As explained in the sales thread, i have posted the link where namelover post "pm sent" before stocdoctor's SOLD. And since it is still in the process of transacting, i cant possibly post every action, eg. domain-pending, awaiting for confirmation of sale, awaiting for money being transfer, SOLD.

Personally, i do agree with stocdoctor, seller should honor the deal to the first who response via any means.

DomainTurn.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stock Doc,

Some People have lots of domain names the they have them on Great domains, Afternic, Sedo, etc... They sit and sit with no offers so one day they deicide to lower there prices to a wholesale level and list them. This is where you make the least amount of money. Kaboom you get an offer on another site, At the end user price
all the sudden the wholesale price seems a little low. I'm not saying selling a domain name at a fixed price is the right thing to do but would your take 20.00 when you just recived an offer for 3500.00. Myself a newbie to this forum feel some of the older forum members have taken advantage of some of the unknowing newbie's as they seem like prey. Many of them list the domain names at a fixed price then recive offer's for a lower amount. "Reciving a lower offer from a senior member" come on you expect a sale at a lower offer buy are not willing to pay the price if the domain name goes up.
If this happen's to you just pm him back and let him know you'll pay more. People make mistake's It seems like the newbie makes a few more than the old timer. Teaching and instruction are the best way to combat these issue's not saying oh poor me I didn't get the domain name because he sold it for more the solution is offer more then the listed price.......

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Thanks for the info again Giant. This issue isn't that big of a deal. I'll let it go in a minute anyway.

The only reasons that a seller would tell you the name is already sold and not honor a first post is either he hasn't maintained his sales thread with a "name sold" post, (inconsiderate) or he has received a higher offer later and choose to sell at the higher price rather than honoring his "fixed" price (no integrity).

The only thing I can say is, it's in the wording of the sale. If someone lists names for sale with a fixed price, and says "First to post sold claims the name", I would be more in agreeance with you. With that wording, it sounds like it is an exclusive sale to dnforum, and it will not sell anywhere else, and the first to post sold gets it. Also, if the seller said "I just sold it through a PM", that would not be right, because the instructions say "First to POST sold claims the name". However, maybe no one posts sold for a week, and then the buyer says "That thread is old, I sold that on another forum". If that were the case, than I would agree that that was a long time, and selling it somewhere else was reasonable. It would be nice if they updated threads. Also, if the thread simply said "Post Sold", and not "First to post sold claims the name", and you posted Sold, and they said "Sorry, I just sold it on another forum", this would also be acceptable, as you can list names for sale anywhere without exclusivity. Same would be the case if they just listed names with prices, and didn't mention how to claim.
Stocdoctor said:
By the way, I was asked via pm to post this subject (by one of those freakin kids who lost a deal) and said I would bring it up. OK I feel better.
Doc

LOL, ok, who's the scared newbie? We won't hurt you :-D

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
skylight said:
i guess stocdoctor is referring to my recent sale offer in the fixed price thread. i have already did the explanation in that thread.

Although my status with dnforum is newbie but that doesnt mean that i am a newbie but of cause i m not a veteran either. I have been in domaining for more than a year. I do understand the ethics.

As explained in the sales thread, i have posted the link where namelover post "pm sent" before stocdoctor's SOLD. And since it is still in the process of transacting, i cant possibly post every action, eg. domain-pending, awaiting for confirmation of sale, awaiting for money being transfer, SOLD.

Personally, i do agree with stocdoctor, seller should honor the deal to the first who response via any means.

Skylight
Not picking on you. Yours was just one of the recent ones that I've seen in the last few days. I would argue with the "can't possibly post every action" in that no one expects members to be rocket rangers, but the first thing I consider on a sale is the rest of the forum. If I get a pm on a name that tells me they will buy it at my price, I immediately check the thread (and all three open windows on the other forums) and compare the times. If the post in the thread says sold and was earlier I tell the pm guy the name is sold. I don't wait till the transaction is completed because I can count on the word of the poster that he will complete the deal. That's why this is a issue with me. I think we should be able to trust a post here as much as a completed sale. Also, if it's a big money deal, you will usually see a courtesy post saying the a deal is pending. This tells other buyers that someone is ahead of them in the deal, but they are welcome to submit indications of interest if the deal may fall through, but is not an invitation to a higher offer.

This post is NOT challenging the sale you mentioned here other than a sale is "done" as soon as you get the acceptance and not when the transaction is completed. I have transactions here with members where the name hasn't been transferred for months either when I'm the buyer or the seller. Who cares? We all trust each other and aren't worried in the least about the money or the name. We have the word of the member.
Doc

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Doc, I thought you were teenager. :-D :-D :-D

A lot of people tell me that. I chalk it up to clean living. :-D

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fussyfever said:
Stock Doc,

Some People have lots of domain names the they have them on Great domains, Afternic, Sedo, etc... They sit and sit with no offers so one day they deicide to lower there prices to a wholesale level and list them. This is where you make the least amount of money. Kaboom you get an offer on another site, At the end user price
all the sudden the wholesale price seems a little low. I'm not saying selling a domain name at a fixed price is the right thing to do but would your take 20.00 when you just recived an offer for 3500.00. Myself a newbie to this forum feel some of the older forum members have taken advantage of some of the unknowing newbie's as they seem like prey. Many of them list the domain names at a fixed price then recive offer's for a lower amount. "Reciving a lower offer from a senior member" come on you expect a sale at a lower offer buy are not willing to pay the price if the domain name goes up.
If this happen's to you just pm him back and let him know you'll pay more. People make mistake's It seems like the newbie makes a few more than the old timer. Teaching and instruction are the best way to combat these issue's not saying oh poor me I didn't get the domain name because he sold it for more the solution is offer more then the listed price.......

The purpose of my posts on the topic are to try to stress what I think should be good traits in handling sales on this forum. You may be right that some of the Vets pay attention to this forum and ebay and the auctions looking for bargains where ignorance comes into play, but that's the same with the stock market.

On the price issue, I ok'd a sale to a member here (this week) in which he was the first to indicate an interest. I told him I'd take a certain amount within a certain time frame and when that time elapsed, I told him the deal was his. Before the deal was done, I got 4 more offers for the name, the last being 5 times his offer. ($2k) I sold the name to him at the agreed price. My word is worth more than the money. So should everyones IMHO.
Doc

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Before the deal was done, I got 4 more offers for the name, the last being 5 times his offer. ($2k) I sold the name to him at the agreed price. My word is worth more than the money. So should everyones IMHO.
Doc

Although I guarantee that many reading this thread will be thinking "fool!", this is a very heartening account and I find it very encouraging - well done my friend :eek:k:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom