Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Some newbie help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablop

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ive had a long term plan to start a sports site and due to time commitments not managed to get it started, i got layed off and now want to get this up and running..

The plan would be get it up and running with the possibility to sell it on down the line.. I know from years back soemone told me to use joker when registering a domain so I own it not the company I rewgistered the domain with, I am very un-techincal so excuse me if this is a silly question. But can anyone advise if this is/is still true, and the best way to go forward in terms of registering a domain and ensuring that I own it and no outside company can control or take a part of any futher sale..
thanks in advance for you time
Pab

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Pab,

Not quite sure what you mean by 'use joker'?

When you register a domain through a registrar you obtain the right to use that domain, to sell the domain, to lease the domain out, etc.. 'Technically' you are not actually buying the domain but obtaining the right to use it. Now there are a number of ways that a domain can be taken from you legally, i.e. if it infringes a Trade Mark, if it is used for illegal purposes, etc..

As I read your post it seems to be that you are worried that the company you register the domain through may just be able to take it from you or demand some of the monies obtained when selling it on. A registrar who you register a domain through may if your registration runs out (you do not renew the domain in time) sell the 'domain' following its expiration, indeed most on here go through the lists of deleting domains daily to find any gems that may not have been renewed. I would simply advise that you register your domain through a reputable (well as reputable as possible) registrar. Generally most register through GoDaddy.com most of their domains, I for example have x,xxx's reg'ed with them. I notice you are in the UK so if it is a .co.uk you are thinking of registering I would recommend 123-reg.co.uk (GoDaddy is way to expensive for .co.uk's), again I personally use them, and I have never had a problem with them.

I hope this helps, if I have misunderstood just drop me a PM or post in this thread and I will try and help as much as I can.

pablop

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thank you for your time and reply that pretty much answers the question. much appreciated and will take the domain advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom