Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

info Some of my own experiences with domain transfer.

An informative domain name related thread.

chayan

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GoDaddy: It takes 15 to 60 minutes to transfer a domain from Godaddy Registrar to another registrar. Note: accept the pending transfer out option of Godaddy's portal.

Epik: It takes 10 to 30 minutes to transfer a domain from one epik registrar to another. Note: The transfer email must be approved.

Dynadot: It takes 10 to 30 minutes to transfer a domain from one Dynadot registrar to another. Note: I have authorized this transfer from the transfer email.

Namecheap: It takes 15 to 30 minutes to transfer a domain from namecheap registrar to another registrar. Note: Transfer must be approved by email.

Namebright: It takes 15 to 60 minutes for a domain to be transferred from a namebright registrar to another registrar. Note: You have to approve the outbound transfer option of namebright portal.

Public Domain Registry:
It takes 5 to 7 days for a domain to be transferred from a Public Domain Registry (PDR) registrar to another registrar.

123 Reg: It takes 5 to 7 days to transfer a domain from 123 Reg Registrar to another registrar. Note: If the transfer is approved by email, the transfer will take place within 10 to 30 minutes.

If you have any experience with domain transfer, be sure to share in the comment box.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This would make a great DNF resource that can be updated and added to in the future as you move domain names around.

Shockingly, I don't think I've ever come across a list as long as this about transfer times and this would be a good tool for decision making of where to hold domains.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

it should be noted,
that any transfer from one registrar to a different registrar, requires an "authorization code" to be sent along with the transfer request.

that "auth code", is generated when the current domain owner submits the request for it thru their account, at the registrar where the domain currently resides.

the auth code is then sent/forwarded via email/pm/dm,etc.., to the buyer/new registrant, so they can initiate the transfer request from their registrar of choice.

once the buyer receives the domain, then they should acknowledge such, so the transaction can be officially closed.

one should also consider:
that any eta times for transfers, are dependent on both parties communicating thru-out the process and alerting each other of any issues that may arise.
since one party may be on other side of the world... sometimes it may take more than day to close a deal.

imo...

chayan

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This would make a great DNF resource that can be updated and added to in the future as you move domain names around.

Shockingly, I don't think I've ever come across a list as long as this about transfer times and this would be a good tool for decision making of where to hold domains.
Thank you so much for your feedback bro, I will try to give something better for this DNforum in the future.

chayan

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

it should be noted,
that any transfer from one registrar to a different registrar, requires an "authorization code" to be sent along with the transfer request.

that "auth code", is generated when the current domain owner submits the request for it thru their account, at the registrar where the domain currently resides.

the auth code is then sent/forwarded via email/pm/dm,etc.., to the buyer/new registrant, so they can initiate the transfer request from their registrar of choice.

once the buyer receives the domain, then they should acknowledge such, so the transaction can be officially closed.

one should also consider:
that any eta times for transfers, are dependent on both parties communicating thru-out the process and alerting each other of any issues that may arise.
since one party may be on other side of the world... sometimes it may take more than day to close a deal.

imo...
I understand the points you made. I should have pointed out these points. However, through your comments, everyone has come to know these issues better. I will try to write better about these issues in the future.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good points to be added as another section to this list, especially if one of these registrars takes X time in unlocking that code for you or if it's visible to the customer immediately. This can gauge how long it'd take to complete a sale at a minimum to factor in time too.

But it's good as-is for an investor to know the amount of time it'll take to shift X% of their own portfolio to another registrar.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
especially if one of these registrars takes X time in unlocking that code for you

Hi

yeah, i know netsol takes up to 3 business days or longer to send the auth code.
so, if moving for yourself or to another owner, be prepared.

imo...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah, i know netsol takes up to 3 business days or longer to send the auth code.
And this is one of the reasons why I haven't used them since they were $99/2 yr (when domains were ultra-premium in today's standards, but obviously a risk then). Unfortunately, I couldn't hold many being a poor middle school student and let a ton of names drop that are well beyond mid-5-figures today.

But, life happens and I just couldn't "HODL". :)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom