Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Somebody own a domain that a big corporation wants to sue him into acquiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMan

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok I read this AMA yesterday on reddit. AMA means AskMeAnything where users ask OP different questions and then he/she answers.
In this AMA, OP is telling about how a corporation is after him for a .com domain which he owns. I thought it might be of some interest to users here so posting it.

Here is the summary:

My last name is the name of the domain. My last name is also the name of this random company that has offices all over the world. I use the domain as a portfolio for people to find and contact me quickly. It's been my way of connecting with potential clients and friends. They've already tried going through WIPO and lost. Now they are telling me that if I don't accept a ridiculously undervalued offer they are going to file litigation against me. I am a college student and can't afford a lawyer. Can anyone give me advice? What should I do? Take the poor offer or try to fight for my rights? I bought this domain fairly. I never expected any of this to happen. Please help!

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/kyde9/i_own_a_domain_that_a_big_corporation_wants_to/

nextri

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is ridiculous. But probably a good opportunity for him to make a lot of cash, if the company is big enough.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something smells fishy to me with the person who posted the question. He already went through a WIPO and won? And only now is he concerned that it will be taken via a lawsuit? Doesn't add up to me.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Something smells fishy to me with the person who posted the question. He already went through a WIPO and won? And only now is he concerned that it will be taken via a lawsuit? Doesn't add up to me.

What exactly doesn't add up? Complainant files UDRP against OP/registrant, registrant won, then complainant wants to dispute that in court now, which either party can do if they don't agree with the UDRP decision.

Assuming what that college student says is true (and so far I've no reason to doubt), he's calling for help since he can't defend against a dispute that'll surely cost time and money.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
then complainant wants to dispute that in court now, which either party can do if they don't agree with the UDRP decision.
That is one of the biggest fallacies I see with every one cheering a WIPO decision (or denouncing it) as if someone won or lost and that is the final word. No, no, no...that is merely a procedural hearing before a panelist(s). Their decision is NOT final and NOT law.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nothing overt it just seems like there is more to it that being shared. Here is what was shared by the op, a college student.

* The Company went via WIPO and lost a decision
* The domain is only 3 or 2 characters
* He paid just over $1000 for it
* He doesn't know if his college even has a law school
* He has been using it for freelance work as an artist
* He has never heard of this company (Company Name is the same as his last name)
* A bunch of his family who are in the construction business use this company's tools everyday
* He has nine years registration paid for already
* The company going after him is a German based Construction Tool Company with headquarters and manufacturing plants all over the world and worth hundreds of millions.
* They offered him $150 then $250 and would not go higher than $500 after he asked for thousands.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I looked at gtld decisions by WIPO over the last two years and nothing matched. I looked at the usual ccTLD suspects and nothing there fits either. Not saying I saw everything or even that this is not legit. Can't I be a skeptic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom