Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Someone is asking to test domain by changing nameservers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMan

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a domain and someone is asking to change its nameserver for 5 days so he can test the traffic it receives. This is before he purchases. Shall I do it? I mean have you ever encountered such request and how did you respond?

raoul

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see no reason to turn it down. Just be sure that you never used the domain as email adress to register example @ godaddy. changing nameserver could be he can set up @yourdomain email adress (for example you used it in godaddy, or paypal, or ... you choose....)

raoul

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there is real site or parking page?

if there is a site, I would not do it. Ask him his google adsense analytics code and use his instread of yours for a few days............

(or pm me site name (when real site) and ill think of some scam he might be breeding on :) )

ComScout.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have done it, and never heard from the person again.

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have done it and sold the domain

but if it is a real site, the analytics solution is really better

and the question is also: do you know this person?
or is it only a gmail "john smith"?

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is very common on a parked domain to request a traffic test, i.e. changing nameservers to those of the buyers stipulation. I have done it for others and had it done for me many times. I would only do it for trusted or proven buyers usually, and only on parked domains.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But could it also hurt my rankings? Like the domain is receiving traffic from search engines and after changing nameservers it may hurt rankings?
I did it many years ago for three days so someone interested in the name could actually measure the traffic. I had never heard of this being done before. I agreed to do it.

Yes, it will knock down your page ranking and yes, you will not get credit for any clicks, traffic, etc.

Yes, it did result in a very good sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom