Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

SOOOO many questions to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to ask them all at once, but in small pieces I guess my first is "type-ins". I assume this means how many results you get when you type in the word or words. If more than one word are they spaced? Need to come together?(hypen in look up)

It seems there are so many ways to value what a good name is. Okay so could some one give me a little help on "type-ins"

spietreser

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A domain with type-ins is a domain that people will just type in when they are looking for something. For example when you're looking to buy books and don't know where to start looking, you will probably type in www.books.com... that domain name will have a lot of "type-ins". Most of these names are obviously dictionary words.

The more type-ins a name gets, the more value because people (who are eagerly waving with their credit cards to buy books in our example) WILL go there first = more sales!

It is as simple as that :)

Hope this helped,

...spietreser...

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That does help and it sure beats the last answer I got. Of course its also confusing. If I was looking to refinance my house I wouldn't go to refinance.com I would search for some key words.

Next, how you you get those figures?

spietreser

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can look at the referrers, if the visitor doesn't have a referrer or the referrer is your own domain, then he probably typed it in. You have to host the website (or let it be done) in order to generate logfiles. Logfiles log every connection and request sent to, and made by the server.
So, by reading the log files you should be able to know (at least estimate) the number of type-ins.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So that type-ins really only apply to sites, not just a name. It is starting to seem that people are wanting great names with sites for next to nothing. That sounds a little worse than I mean, but thats kinda how it shapes up to me.

So I guess that leads me to another question. Where are people making money? I see some what I consider decent names just for the taking, yet selling a good name for cost seems tough. Then I see awful names sell for thousands. I have been offered good money for one name, but it appears it fell through, and then I offered two very good names much less than worth and my names were "too cheap" to good.

I mean you aren't going to find MP3.com for $20 bucks and it seems silly to think you would get a great site that is built for $500 or something. Surely it would take a while to get a site with hits and profits, why would you sell it for a song. Am I missing a short cut. Just a bit more confused here than I normally am.

I hope you follow my point as I have rambled on far too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom