Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Spam attack - or worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a WP based fan site that usually gets 2-3 people signing up a week (most are probabaly bots).

Today there has been pver 70 signups from random email addresses (most are clearly spam bots). Luckily all comments are moderated but there hasn't been a single attempt on it yet.

Is this just a spam attack or do you think there might be something more sinister at hand?

I'm having issues pulling up logs from my host (could be work's firewall) so I can't check those right now.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to own a popular celebrity site, and used to receive a comment per day. One night, I received over 200 - all spam. So yes, you're site's probably made it onto a list somewhere, I don't think it's anything worse than that. Just add ReCaptcha to the signup page, and you should be ok.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think there is a hole, they're getting around the Captcha. I'm not sure what version I'm on now but I'm going to back up the DB and then update to the latest.

Traffic has gone from 150-200 a day to over 1000 so far today. I'm still getting signups but I hope it's just from before the update.

Last edited:

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any comments yet? How are you protecting your comments?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm in the middle of deleting all the users but I feel bad because some are legitimate and made some helpful comments. :(

I just checked my logs - it seems like they are all going straight to the registration page.

Last edited:

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Came across a Wordpress plugin today called Sabre that seems to be promising in preventing registration spam.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tia, the most complete anti spam plugin I've seen in a while, I'll be downloading it for some of my sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom