Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Spam Injected Wordpress Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I just had to reset my server after receiving a nice message from Google informing that one of my websites was phishing. After a long hour of digging through my files I found a number of contaminated folders. I believe "the travel theme" (http://thetraveltheme.com/) was the source of my headache. Just wanted to warn everyone here just in case they stumble upon this beautifully skinned hell hole. STAY AWAY!

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not spam, it's a malicious attempt to grab banking details from unsuspecting visitors. The hackers use your site to host the fake landing page. I know because I had around a million of these phishing attacks circa xmas time last year.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I just had to reset my server after receiving a nice message from Google informing that one of my websites was phishing. After a long hour of digging through my files I found a number of contaminated folders. I believe "the travel theme" (http://thetraveltheme.com/) was the source of my headache. Just wanted to warn everyone here just in case they stumble upon this beautifully skinned hell hole. STAY AWAY!

timthumb

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Is "the travel theme" THE cause or hacker
injected malicious code into "the travel theme"?

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The theme would have a security vulnerability it's not the hacker. As suggested above, you should install the timthumb vulnerability scanner plugin.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not spam, it's a malicious attempt to grab banking details from unsuspecting visitors. The hackers use your site to host the fake landing page. I know because I had around a million of these phishing attacks circa xmas time last year.

Yes exactly. It's a huge pain in the ass. I'm not sure if it was injected into the theme or if it was someone manipulating a security vulnerability. I'm pretty sure it was part of the the though. After installing the template and adding content I noticed the website was uunusually slow. I'm not an expert with this stuff by anymeans but I wanted to warn you guys about a potentially devastating issue.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fwiw you can still use the wp theme. simply identify and delete the phishing files and update the timthumb script using the plugin.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was unable to delete the files. I tried with FTP, Plesk and SSH. The files showed up on my FTP client but the server didn't recognize them. It was a bizarre situation. This is my first month with a dedicated server though so I might be overlooking something simple. How do I scan my server for malicious files? Is there a piece of software I can use to help stop this type of problem?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great, another thing I need to be paranoid about! :smilewinkgrin:

Is there a specific target niche that the hack is going after?

It's a travel theme so I'm assuming the travel niche.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was unable to delete the files. I tried with FTP, Plesk and SSH. The files showed up on my FTP client but the server didn't recognize them. It was a bizarre situation. This is my first month with a dedicated server though so I might be overlooking something simple. How do I scan my server for malicious files? Is there a piece of software I can use to help stop this type of problem?

That would be because your host changed file permissions.

Is there a specific target niche that the hack is going after?

Any niche. If your short and ugly you would be vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom