Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sqautters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

damain1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi I was contacting business asking if they wanted to by domains that I own. They asked me if I was a squatter or do I plan to do something productive with the website.

Anyone on the laws of just owning a domain to park?

Thanks!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi I was contacting business asking if they wanted to by domains that I own. They asked me if I was a squatter or do I plan to do something productive with the website.

Anyone on the laws of just owning a domain to park?

Thanks!

lol

now you've been called a squatter :)

did you send them generic domains or some possible trademarked names?

the typical response of the public is that all domainers are squatters, whether the name is generic or tm related.

though you may get excluded from that label if the domain is a viable website.

read thru the last 4 or 5 pages of this section and you'll find plenty of arguments.

that's one of main reasons why some domainers are trying to "divest" themselves from other domainers.

but they are only dividing themselves....which makes them weaker as a whole.

imo...

damain1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I will look through the last few posts, and I was emailing energy companies. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't see how you could really be branded as a cybersquatter, if that is what they meant. I googled the term and found no matches except ads you placed to sell the domain, and I looked on the PTO website and there are no pending applications or registrations.

Naturally, there may be common law rights that have no web footprint or registered rights in other countries or other languages. But, a perfunctory look seems to suggest that you are within your rights to own, park, sell, and use the domain.

If you want a real legal analysis though, you should contact a lawyer on here. Berryhill, Schaefer, and a few others post here.

damain1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Solar ROI is the Solar Return on Investment and many energy companies and solar companies promote the Solar Return on Investment when promoting their products and consulting. I thought it was a generic name. I think of it similar to a unit of measurement.

I'm not going to reply to their email because with their comments I think they probably do not want to buy. I was just concerned when the term squatter was mentioned.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't see how you could really be branded as a cybersquatter, if that is what they meant. I googled the term and found no matches except ads you placed to sell the domain, and I looked on the PTO website and there are no pending applications or registrations.

Naturally, there may be common law rights that have no web footprint or registered rights in other countries or other languages. But, a perfunctory look seems to suggest that you are within your rights to own, park, sell, and use the domain.

If you want a real legal analysis though, you should contact a lawyer on here. Berryhill, Schaefer, and a few others post here.

all of that what you just said is part of the growing confusion surrounding the rights of a domain owner and the perception it carries with the GP and even newbies who don't know and who are easily scared or persuaded...one way or the other

though his domain is generic and may not have any tm's, in any countries, he still is viewed as a squatter by the GP.

but other domainers wouldn't consider him a cybersquatter based on that domain alone.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmm, reminds me of the time the newspapers called me a "Serial Cybersquatter" ,lol. Of course I am NOT.

DG

damain1

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts!! Maybe a moderator can take my domain out of the post just saw you're not supposed to post the domain name. ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom