Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Stargate wanted me to pay $120 to renew my domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stargate wanted me to pay $120 to renew a domain name because they put my domain name into redemption period one day after the expiration date. What a joke!

What's worse is that this domain name was a Enom Club Drop catch from last year and that I had already renewed the domain name in my Enom account prior to the expiration date. But apparently Enom and Stargate have gone their separate ways and my renewal was not honored by Stargate.

This is a pretty good domain name, nothing great but still a definite keeper, and I was willing to pay the $120. But you know what, I was seeing red and I hate being ripped off. And Stargate definitely does not deserve my money.

So I took a chance. I let the domain name expire and while it was in pending delete status I put a snapback and pool backorder on the domain name. And voila! Snapnames picked it up for me today for $60! Thank you Snapnames.

Although I saved a little bit of money, the thing that I am most happy about is the fact that Stargate is getting not one cent of my money.

If you are crazy enough to keep your domain names there, make sure you renew early otherwise it could get ugly!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stargate has been KNOWN to send expired domains into RGP (Redemption Grace Period) right away. And to be fair, registrar-level grace periods (usually of 30 - 40 days) are "grace" after all. Anyway, glad to hear that you've got your name back. You are lucky that Snapnames actually caught that drop for you, and not let say Pool or Namewinner do so and put it up for public acution.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Happened to us on a number of domains that Stargate got when they were Club Drop partners with ENOM. Many we just let go. Just got one back using POOL this week. Guess that is one reason why Stargates reg. numbers are so low. We would not do business there after this mess. Steve

owen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just FYI. Once a domain goes into the redemption period the registry charges the registrar a fee to get it out. Obviously, a registrar will mark up that cost and pass it on to the registrant. The fee might very from registrar to registrar, but all registrars will charge a fee to get a name out of redemption. The best way to not get stuck with this fee is to renew your domain in time.

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
owen said:
Just FYI. Once a domain goes into the redemption period the registry charges the registrar a fee to get it out. Obviously, a registrar will mark up that cost and pass it on to the registrant. The fee might very from registrar to registrar, but all registrars will charge a fee to get a name out of redemption. The best way to not get stuck with this fee is to renew your domain in time.

Hi Owen,

Being in the the biz I was wondering if you could tell us what the registry charges??

regards,
jim

dotBIZ said:
Hi Owen,

Being in the the biz I was wondering if you could tell us what the registry charges??

regards,
jim

Found it $40 .
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/touton-letter-to-gomes-15jan03.htm

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
I was not going to let them win.

Exactly!

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

It is nice to know that I am not the only one who has run into this problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom