Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Starting a blog with a non-dotcom extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been researching domains for a blog. One which I like a lot isn't available in .com (as I expected). But .org and .me are available. Out of curiosity, I did a whois look-up to learn that the domain is registered by a MAJOR company and is parked by Mark Monitor.

Is it smart for me to start the blog with the .org or .me? And which extension is preferable? Or should I consider getting another .com instead (although to be honest I'd rather not).

The domain is an agent noun e.g teacher, swimmer etc

thisjeff

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It depends on the nature of your blog. Are you going to be receiving mostly direct traffic (URL in emails to a list, for instance)? Or will you rely on other forms of marketing? .Com might hold higher SEO value (maybe? I'm not sure anymore), but it also gives users a sense of authority (although this is diminishing). The other issue is that if you market the name as your brand, people will type it in and it will either resolve to a .com first or they'll just assume it's AGENTNOUN.com. So now you'd have to be marketing as AGENTNOUN at AGENTNOUN.org. Of course if you get a top position search result, this issues goes away as well.

Short answer: it depends. .Com is better, but is becoming less important.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You are right; I'll have to market the blog really well. No doubt I'll be losing some traffic to the .com. Like you said .com is just better for the sort of thing.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
A blog on a TLD other than .com is fair use. I use Acro.net and yet the .com and .org are developed businesses. But my blog drives more traffic :D

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
For me blogs have been one of those things where the keywords in the domain is more important than the tld if the .com is unavailable.

.org best bet.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI:

MM is major tm defender and c&d letter sender

:)

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Acro and cbk. You confirmed what I'd been thinking.

FYI:

MM is major tm defender and c&d letter sender
:)

Even for a generic word? I just did a trademark search and couldn't find any.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even for a generic word? I just did a trademark search and couldn't find any.

was not implying that your name has a tm

was alerting you about the "ties" between that .com which you said was parked with Mark Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom