Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Starting a News submission site- copyright issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartaN

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am planning to start a news submission site where users and moderators can submit news they find interesting.

They will most likely copy and paste the news content, and a link to the original article and site will of course be included. The content wont be changed in any way.

This is done in most Forums, and I dont see how it will be a problem, but could I face copyright problems?
Is there some sort of a Disclaimer that would cover my behind?

In case of trouble, will it be a case of the news site asking you to simply remove the content, or will you be dragged to court by the hair?

Thanks for reading.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Not 100% sure but to avoid legal issues you'd want to provide only a portion of the content with a link to the source.

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
second that, include the source so they benefit...only fair.

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ditto above.

A big difference between linking to a news article in a forum, where the source and content are presented in whole and credited, and "copying and pasting" aka "scraping".

I'd also have to assume that you aren't doing this for your health and you're gonna try to make some dough from your site. So you are into all sorts of copyright bad juju.

Steve

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think google was sued by STUPID Belgium copyright firm even though google was showing only part of their news with link to their corresponding pages.

It is never safe. They could sue you if they like even if you show part of their content.

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Get a Meme software. And an attorney.

For examples, see

techmeme.com
tweetmeme.com

If done right, even the 'not so bad' looks good. And the 'Evil' not so bad.

Just ask Google.......

I am planning to start a news submission site where users and moderators can submit news they find interesting.

They will most likely copy and paste the news content, and a link to the original article and site will of course be included. The content wont be changed in any way.

This is done in most Forums, and I dont see how it will be a problem, but could I face copyright problems?
Is there some sort of a Disclaimer that would cover my behind?

In case of trouble, will it be a case of the news site asking you to simply remove the content, or will you be dragged to court by the hair?

Thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom