Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

discussion Stay Calm in Situations You Can't Control

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I posted this about the Epik Hack here.
My best advice to anyone is to not freak out over this hack.

I've learned as I've gotten older that it's best to remain calm in situations you can't control.

Focus on what you can control and change. 🙏🏽

Thought I would share, just stay calm in situations you can't control.

I believe the above just doesn't apply to cybersecurity and hacking though, it's life in general.

When I was younger... I used to get very upset about situations and things I didn't control. Looking back most of these "freakouts" were for stupid reasons.

I see many people getting upset everyday about situations, people, technology, etc. they can't control.

The modern media, social media, and the advent of being connected all the time has us getting triggered over many things we can't control. This is not a good way to live your life.

To be clear, this doesn't mean ignore things. Control what you can.

For computer security, this means use password manager, 2FA, etc.

In a job you don't enjoy? Maybe you can't leave immediately but you can control learning better skills, updating your resume, etc.

This could be too Zen for a domain name forum but I just wanted to share. What do other people think of staying calm in situations you do not control?

Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have this in a draft message that pops up everyday when I check my personal email:
Control the controllable and accept the uncontrollable, then move on with your day.

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sage advice there.

God is on the throne. He sometimes tests faithfulness but never gives us more than we can handle. And what the enemy intends for evil is invariably used for good.

#BeEpik

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
God is on the throne. He sometimes tests faithfulness but never gives us more than we can handle.
"More than 700,000 people die due to suicide every year."

Same God that is all knowing/all powerful and sits and watches atrocities happen every day, while having the power to stop them.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same God that is all knowing/all powerful and sits and watches atrocities happen every day, while having the power to stop them.
This is a very touchy subject for me which I think you can see why by looking at my avatar but don't worry, I don't need a "trigger warning". My view about this is that God gave us free will to choose what we wanted to do with our lives. Even if we chose to seek help, etc., that help might not ever be enough because there are just so many different ways to get help and it's not one size fits all solution, thus ending badly with untreated pain that went on too long.

You're telling me that God should've intervened and made the gun misfire? What about the second shot? Get out of here with that nonsense.

But thank you for bringing that up. I have a handful of families and friends that I should catch up with.

Also, why are you so negative? If you need resources, I have all the phone numbers and hotlines I can send your way. You sound very negative, and some would say that you're headed down this path, but I'm not truly worried about you. It's really the more positive and upbeat "I can beat life" guys that surprise you by pulling the trigger.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
This is a very touchy subject for me which I think you can see why by looking at my avatar but don't worry, I don't need a "trigger warning". My view about this is that God gave us free will to choose what we wanted to do with our lives. Even if we chose to seek help, etc., that help might not ever be enough because there are just so many different ways to get help and it's not one size fits all solution, thus ending badly with untreated pain that went on too long.

You're telling me that God should've intervened and made the gun misfire? What about the second shot? Get out of here with that nonsense.

But thank you for bringing that up. I have a handful of families and friends that I should catch up with.

Also, why are you so negative? If you need resources, I have all the phone numbers and hotlines I can send your way. You sound very negative, and some would say that you're headed down this path, but I'm not truly worried about you. It's really the more positive and upbeat "I can beat life" guys that surprise you by pulling the trigger.
Living in the real world isn't negative.

Lots of people have more than they can handle, hence suicide.

You mention free will, don't you think God should have made people smarter?

Is he not all knowing/powerful?

Answer this honestly.

You walk into a room and see a man molesting a child, raping a woman. What would you do?

Would you stop it or sit and watch?

I would stop it, because I'm decent.

God watches.

People (most) are more decent than the God you pray too and worship.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Living in the real world isn't negative.
Every single post you've written is negative. I've yet to see something positive from you.
I would stop it, because I'm decent.
I'd really hope so, and that you weren't like the other passengers that casually walked on and off the train witnessing such an act but apparently not being able to process it enough to stop it.
People (most) are more decent than the God you pray too and worship.
Who hurt you? Honestly. Somewhere in your life, someone, or something, or some process hurt you. What was it?

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
Every single post you've written is negative. I've yet to see something positive from you.

I'd really hope so, and that you weren't like the other passengers that casually walked on and off the train witnessing such an act but apparently not being able to process it enough to stop it.

Who hurt you? Honestly. Somewhere in your life, someone, or something, or some process hurt you. What was it?
Are you slow in the brain or something? I'm not hurt, upset etc.

I pointed out some basic things, asked some basic questions and you've been swerving.

This is a false statement:

"God is on the throne. He sometimes tests faithfulness but never gives us more than we can handle."

I gave one example why.

I also pointed out God is all powerful/knowing and does nothing with atrocities, while the common man would. Hence man being more decent than God.

You've yet to take my reasoning apart, because you can't.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I gave one example why.
I also gave you an example of physically intervening in suicide. God does not do that. People have the ability to choose what they will do in this life and to face the consequences of their actions on judgment day.

So, give me another example of how it is wrong or we can agree to disagree.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People have the ability to choose what they will do in this life and to face the consequences of their actions on judgment day.
This is in no way insinuating that people who commit suicide will go to hell if you read it that way. It's to give an example that someone has the choice to end their life or not. It does, however, explain why men can be crueler than God and let people (Dictators, real dictators) treat other people like animals. They are given a life and they navigate the best they can through that life given the circumstances; they can either choose to be the best person they can be in that life under a dictator rule or to end their life.

Suicide is your only argument against this, and it's a really weak one at that. It's almost tantamount to blaming God for everything that goes wrong, which is what I think your true argument is if I'm not mistaken. If so, I think we just have to agree to disagree and part ways.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
I also gave you an example of physically intervening in suicide. God does not do that. People have the ability to choose what they will do in this life and to face the consequences of their actions on judgment day.

So, give me another example of how it is wrong or we can agree to disagree.
The suicide example was for this:

"God never gives us more than we can handle."

Again, that just isn't true.

Not for interfering. The example I gave for that were atrocities. Where many times man will intervene, when God won't, even tho he could. You mention free will. I said, well, with somebody that powerful, maybe he should have built a better, more decent man.

Pretend you had the power of God, wouldn't you have made them better, more decent?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We're really just going to have to agree to disagree here. You're just an atheist and we are not. Nothing that we do or say will convince you otherwise. Maybe you'll have a wake-up moment, maybe not. I just hope that you're able to chomp on whatever is going on in your life, or, be able to let it go.

I really wonder who you are under all of this though. You hiding behind an alias on here tells me that you might, at one time, want to join DNForum. However, at this time, you're not wanting to as a domain name investor. It's odd to have an alias on here that differs from NamePros unless you don't want judgment in the future for what you are doing now. I can tell you, you won't, but it probably won't help in sales being so cowardly and negative. I think you're just trying to preserve your image for when the time comes to make the switch. :)

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
We're really just going to have to agree to disagree here. You're just an atheist and we are not. Nothing that we do or say will convince you otherwise. Maybe you'll have a wake-up moment, maybe not. I just hope that you're able to chomp on whatever is going on in your life, or, be able to let it go.

I really wonder who you are under all of this though. You hiding behind an alias on here tells me that you might, at one time, want to join DNForum. However, at this time, you're not wanting to as a domain name investor. It's odd to have an alias on here that differs from NamePros unless you don't want judgment in the future for what you are doing now. I can tell you, you won't, but it probably won't help in sales being so cowardly and negative. I think you're just trying to preserve your image for when the time comes to make the switch. :)
I think you just can't handle what I actually post, so you continue with ad hominem attacks.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you just can't handle what I actually post, so you continue with ad hominem attacks.
I think I answered it quite well first and then added my opinion about you and how I understand you wouldn't want to use something other than an alias here.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
I think I answered it quite well first and then added my opinion about you and how I understand you wouldn't want to use something other than an alias here.
That's not even the subject, that's you not being able to handle the subject.

I responded to this:

"God never gives us more than we can handle."

You know that's not true. And you haven't directly responded to that.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know that's not true. And you haven't directly responded to that.
Okay, then let me make it shorter that is the opposite of your argument and easier to bite off.

Suicide is not an indicator of having too much to handle. Tell me how it is if I'm wrong.

DapperJohn

Level 3
Reaction score
Okay, then let me make it shorter that is the opposite of your argument and easier to bite off.

Suicide is not an indicator of having too much to handle. Tell me how it is if I'm wrong.
What do you think it's an indicator of? Think of reasons why people commit suicide. Let's just look at one.

Veterans committing suicide. Most of the time it's because they can't handle what they've seen or perhaps done in combat.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators