Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Steal the archived content of an expired domain from Archive.org?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charybdis

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

if I buy an expired domain name, is it legal to go to Archive.org, and copy and paste the archived content of the former website into my "new" website?

If the expired content only exists on Archive.org, then is it public domain?
If this content is copyrighted, how can Archive.org store it?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

if I buy an expired domain name, is it legal to go to Archive.org, and copy and paste the archived content of the former website into my "new" website?

If the expired content only exists on Archive.org, then is it public domain?
If this content is copyrighted, how can Archive.org store it?

storage of copywritten material, is quite different than using copywritten materal for your own personal gains.

may not be the best example but....

it's legal for you to own copywritten music you purchased, but not resample parts or whole of the music in your songs.....without expressed permission.

but i know what you want to do and i have "saved" some images, content, etc from archieved pages as well.

it's about how you "recycle" it, if you can rewrite the "concept of the content", in your own words.

then that can be considered as creativity.

customed designed images, :watermarked:, etc, may be an issue.

check legal, but good question to bring up. :)

imo...

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

i'd also ask admins to change the title of this thread to "Legality of using the archived content of an expired domain from Archive.org"

it doesn't show an intent :)

imo...

Charybdis

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am only interested in text content.

I don't want to rewrite it, because I want search engines to see the continuity of the content of the website.

charlescarreon

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All content is "copyrighted" from the moment it is created. Registration is an important formality that entitles you to obtain special, powerful legal remedies. See my essay on this topic at Charles' Primer of Online Media Law

As a practical matter, if the content is that good, the creator could, conceivably come after you. But if they didn't think their work was worth keeping on the Net for the cost of a registration fee, how likely is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom