Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Still alive - Domain Appraisal Scams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prometheus2130

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For those who are interested. I ve got a "nice" written email this morning in which i were asked to sell one of my Domains for an incredible cool Price :cool:, but right before of course, there is the need of an "evaluation":

"We were celebrating newborn child of my brother. I apologize for delay with my answer.

Can you accept 15,000 USD?

Do you sell domain with a web site or just the name?

Domain without content is ok with me. Web site is not necessary.

Have you had your domain names evaluated in the past? I mean domain appraisals. Without valuation we cannot be sure in the sale price. It's very important for me in terms of reselling too. But we must engage a valuation company with REAL manual service. So I will only accept valuations from independent sources I and my partners trust.

To avoid mistakes I asked domain experts about reputable appraisal companies.

Please check this blog with suggestions from other sellers and buyers:
(link removed)

If, for example, the valuation comes higher you can adjust your asking price accordingly. It will be fair. I also hope you can give me 12% - 15% discount.

After you send me the valuation via email (usually it takes 1-2 days to obtain it) we'll continue our negotiations.

What is your preferred payment method: Escrow.com, International wire transfer, PayPal.com or something else?

Hope we can come to an agreement fast.

Looking forward to your reply."

Ok so, the experienced folks here understand that nobody offers 15,000 USD even for the "sexiest" Domain if the seller is not opening up the negotiation. I removed the links because dont know if they can be posted here. By the Way, the Webpage of this "Company" looks somewhat like a "Website tonight" GD stuff..... LOL

This info just to keep your eyes open and Discussion alive people. ;)

PM

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there have been several members here, who have posted what is virtually the same email.

Thanks

supershops

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Add me to the mix. I am currently in "negotiations" with mentioned people/company. I started getting the feeling this could be an appraisal scam as the interested buyer is pushing specific appraisal service. Also, when I tried to check out website of company it redirects to Sedo? Anyhow, glad to see others sharing info about possible pitfalls and scams.

HWW

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
99% of the time those emails are as stated an appraisal scam - I must have had hundreds the past 12 months all pretty much the same text.
- now and then I get one that isn't quite the same but my standard answer is always that they may use and pay for any company they wish to use and should we go ahead with a sale I will be happy to deduct their appraisal fees from the sale price - just in case its not the scammers (I don't have the time to research every email)
I can't think of a time where I would ever pay for an appraisal (pointless in my opinion) but if a buyer wants one they can go ahead and get one at their cost :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something along the lines of "Hi, we like your domain and would be interested in buying it"

Sometimes they don't mention the appraisal until you respond, other times they do in the initial email.

joehark

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recall getting one that offered me "85% of the appraised price." My attitude, even before I realized it was actually an invitation to the appraisal scam dance was, "Why would I accept an offer that is less then established value?"

Yesterday I got an email from Burnstein (search on that name in these forums and he'll come up) saying "I am thinking $6,000 to $8,000" - not exactly an offer but to those not experienced in business negotiations, it may look like an offer. When I wrote back asking why I should pay for an appraisal that he wants, but is otherwise of no value to me, he simply repeated how urgently he needed one and sent me links to "good" appraisers.

(For those new to business, an offer is explicit, not "I'm thinking." It's true that phrasing like that may come up during negotiations. Someone will float a price or a term of the deal to light up the direction in which things might go, but in a genuine negotiation, this is usually responded to by asking that person to restate it as a real offer. "So you are saying you are willing to pay between $6000 and $8000? Why the spread? Give me a firm price and we'll see where it goes from there."

Also, speaking as one who spent years as the owner of an antique business, where the secret of the business is in the buying - and many other years living in foreign countries where prices are always negotiable, if someone asks you at the start to name the price you will pay for something, never do that. Let the other guy start the pricing. If pressed, my final word is, "I never bid against myself. If you want to sell it, tell me what you want. If you don't have a price in mind, I'm not ready to buy." That works every time.)

Anyway, my emails with him went on for three exchanges until I sent him the link to the DNforum thread where he is named as a scammer. Have not heard a word from him since.

Do you think maybe he's offended and doesn't like me (or my domain) anymore?

Prometheus2130

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don´t get the point on that one. The guy appears to act as scammer. You´d sent him a corresponding thread link. Why do you believe he would enjoy a conversation with you? Imho i think you should feel happy got him wasted.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Last edited:

joehark

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don´t get the point on that one. The guy appears to act as scammer. You´d sent him a corresponding thread link. Why do you believe he would enjoy a conversation with you? Imho i think you should feel happy got him wasted.

Just my 2 cents. ;)
So you think I should have ignored him . . . and you, as well? Good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom