Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Still trying to get a grip on pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After four years learning domaining, I'm still trying to get a grip on pricing, which I think is probably the hardest part of it all - well, it is for me, anyway.

I'd be glad to have some comments on this: last year I sold a domain name to an end user for $5,000. What would have been a fair reseller price (or price range) for this domain, and what would have been a lowball offer?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Impossible to comment, without exposing the domain, to many factors in play.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
last year I sold a domain name to an end user for $5,000. What would have been a fair reseller price (or price range) for this domain, and what would have been a lowball offer?

Based on that information, it would be easier to tell you the meaning of life.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've just replied, and my answer vanished into the ether. I apologise if two posts appear together.

I think I confused things by referring to a particular domain name. What I'm trying to find out is what the relationship of reseller price to end user price, generally speaking.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Actually, if anyone needs to know the meaning of life, I can help. :)

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From my experience I would say that pricing domains for Domajners is based on what your selling. If your not selling LL LLL LLLLs,etc your out of luck. Unless you got generic .coms your not going to get the price you want for your reg fee domain name. The odd time you may get lucky and sell a domain for few hundred! Most end users will offer you no more then $100-$500. Selling a domain for $5000 is jackpot! Reseller value is irrelevant in my opinion.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Reseller pricing has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years as the domain aftermarket has turned to a buyers market. For those of us still buying, there are simply too many deals to be had to buy everything, so it becomes a matter of picking and choosing the best deals available. Domains that would have sold here for xxxx a few years ago are selling for xxx these days (or less), though there is the occasional exception.

Feel free to PM me the name also, and I'll tell you what I would have paid for it, for what it's worth.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There's meaning?

Actually, if anyone needs to know the meaning of life, I can help. :)
I would love to know the meaning!!

I agree with Cure Cancer though. This market is tough and good sales are all sales.
I tend to feel one should holdout for a better economy on good names if one can.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Reseller pricing has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years as the domain aftermarket has turned to a buyers market. For those of us still buying, there are simply too many deals to be had to buy everything, so it becomes a matter of picking and choosing the best deals available.

I had to quote this as it occured to me that if you hear of a big player, big salesman getting out of the market, to move on or whatever...

DONT believe them. That is when they are quietly buying for the next bull market.

Remember, the best time to sell, is when prices are up,.. and the best time to buy??..... you guessed it right.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I posted links to my extensive blog posts, they got deleted. Oh well, some mods are overly zealous. PM me if you want the links.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I posted links to my extensive blog posts, they got deleted. Oh well, some mods are overly zealous. PM me if you want the links.

Was there conflict of interest Acro? I like your blog posts. But I also understand protectionism on websites.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I can't copy and paste my entire thesis here, so I posted links to my blog, which they mysteriously disappeared. Those who follow this thread shall remain poorer because a trigger-happy mod "upheld the law".

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the father's video who shot the teen-girl's laptop. Goes both ways.

The right belongs to who is the head-of-household.

[video=youtube;vUpOABtY_nE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUpOABtY_nE[/video]

Last edited:

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK! So I must be missing something here ? when clicking on MAllie portfolio it links to Sedo's page of appox 988 results of some of the best domains available on Sedo... What question was this again about pricing ?? With all those bids coming in..

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's meaning? I would love to know the meaning!!

It's quite simple, really (to me, anyway). The meaning of life is to give meaning to life. You do this by giving yourself (or discovering) a purpose to your life. This might be helping yourself or helping others. It might be making enough money to pay your mortgage or to become king of the world.

In a wider sense, there are those who believe that all life is a lesson and we have to pass some ethereal exam to move on (to somewhere better, to a higher form of life, to whatever or wherever). Others see our lives here as the real hell, where love is only spasmodic and not enough to reunite us with the entity from whom we were separated at some time in the past. Learning to love, they say, is the real purpose.

Whatever you believe or whatever purpose you choose, you need one. Even if it's only to fulfil a determination to spend your life relaxing and having fun, that's still purposeful, once you have identified it in this way.

Well, you did ask. :)

---------- Post added at 06:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

Sorry, some messages are posting twice, as I feared. I guess if it's worth saying, it's worth saying twice. Whether it's worth reading twice is another matter. :(

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting and funny question, especially from an experienced domainer.

It reminds me, the more you learn, the less you know. Then, the less you know, the more you want to learn. The more your want to learn, the more you ask. The more you ask, the more you learn? You might want to try an alternative method, though.

Just close your eyes, think of a number. You got that number yet? Calculate 10 percent standard deviation from the number you're thinking in your head. You should come up with two numbers, the higher number and the lower number. The higher number is your starting price. The lower number is the lowest you're going to sell. If that doesn't work, then think of a new number, start from there again.

If the above method still doesn't work, maybe you need a better method of buying. Read the following article for a better method:

http://www.ppc.bz/get-money-get-paid/how-to-be-domainer-gangster

Just don't forget me when you become a millionaire or two.
:) :)

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the father's video who shot the teen-girl's laptop. Goes both ways.

The right belongs to who is the head-of-household.

[video=youtube;vUpOABtY_nE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUpOABtY_nE[/video]

What a brave daddy to post such video on you tube. It's funny. I hope this video is a joke, not a serious messge. It's very offense to videotape yourself with a shooting gun to send a message to your kid, even if you're shooting at a computer. The dude only make the problem worse, and make his daughter scared living with him.

On the serious side, it can be tough being a daddy. I'm sure there many parents going through it. Having to work so hard to support your kids, having to spend money on a laptop for them, so they have one to do their school work with, only to have them use it to chat with their friends and post disrespectful stuff about you. That's a failing daddy. And it does hurt. Cheer to the brave dad. I hope he finds a better way to deal with his kid other than the method on that video.

Sorry, I went off track.

If anyone knows any method of domain pricing, I'd like to know.

And thanks, MAllie, for sharing the meaning of life.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't copy and paste my entire thesis here, so I posted links to my blog, which they mysteriously disappeared. Those who follow this thread shall remain poorer because a trigger-happy mod "upheld the law".

And so it begins.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom